Thread: Very frustrated with this recorder

Default Very frustrated with this recorder

It has been 5 months since I have purchased this software. It works ok but I'm getting very frustrated with few things

1- Every time I record from my sling either local or remote, the first minute or so comes with audio only and no video. I tried hundreds of times and from different computers and different networks and still the same.

2- I can watch slingbox for hours without interruption of audio or video and my stream is consistent at around 900 kbps to 1.2 Mbps. I have a very fast internet connection with high download bandwidth yet every recording I make there is audio and video freeze for 10-15 seconds. It dose not matter if the recording is 2 minutes or 2 hours, there is always freeze somewhere in the recording. Please don't tell me this is because of my internet connection because as I mentioned above, I can watch the sling streams for hours without any interruption.

3- Converting the ASF is a big pain. If I use any convertor out there, I get an audio synch problem. I have to encode the video in windows media encoder first (audio has to be CBR) and then I can convert it to other formats.

I hope that I will get a better answer to my questions other than your internet connection might be the problem.

Cool

I use the At-Large recorder regularly without problems, but I do have to slow down the stream rate within the program to get acceptable recordings. I have slowed my rate to 300 kbs, but have not experimented with higher rates.

The resulting recording is very viewable - but I am just looking for entertainment, not perfection.

I have seen others complain about the ASF conversion problem. However, I don't need to convert, I have not worried about it.

There have been rumors about a new version of the software. Perhaps it will address your concerns. There is not ETA for the new software; but since it is approaching two years since the last update, it is about time for the next release to appear.

Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by newone88 View Post
    It has been 5 months since I have purchased this software. It works ok but I'm getting very frustrated with few things

1- Every time I record from my sling either local or remote, the first minute or so comes with audio only and no video. I tried hundreds of times and from different computers and different networks and still the same.

2- I can watch slingbox for hours without interruption of audio or video and my stream is consistent at around 900 kbps to 1.2 Mbps. I have a very fast internet connection with high download bandwidth yet every recording I make there is audio and video freeze for 10-15 seconds. It dose not matter if the recording is 2 minutes or 2 hours, there is always freeze somewhere in the recording. Please don't tell me this is because of my internet connection because as I mentioned above, I can watch the sling streams for hours without any interruption.

3- Converting the ASF is a big pain. If I use any convertor out there, I get an audio synch problem. I have to encode the video in windows media encoder first (audio has to be CBR) and then I can convert it to other formats.

Thanks Floyd for the reply. How do you slow down the rate? Do you go into the advance settings? I use their default setting right now.
    You are not talking about the slingbox itself, right?
    let me know

Quote Originally Posted by newone88 View Post
    Thanks Floyd for the reply. How do you slow down the rate? Do you go into the advance settings? I use their default setting right now.
    You are not talking about the slingbox itself, right?
    let me know
    It is in the "Advanced Settings". I just went to verify this and saw that I am using 400 bps on my Vista laptop. I think the 300 number I quoted earlier was on an older Win XP machine. Depending on the speed of your system, you may want to experiment just a bit.

Here is a picture of my settings on the Vista machine:

Let me know if this helps.

Floyd
    Last edited by floydj; 12-03-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks again Floyd.
    I played with the video bit rate before but did not go that low. it seems to be ok but I still need to do more tweaking and testing.
    Now If i can find another way of converting the asf file....

Thanks again

Sounds like your computer can't keep up with recording at the rate that you had selected. Either your computer is not fast enough, the hard drive is being taxed or you have too much stuff running in the background (like mine).

Reducing the bit rate would work as suggested or you could try recording to another physical hard drive, either external or internal (better).

Default you are not the only one

I too am experiencing the same issue as the original poster... and no, it
    is NOT due to a SLOW computer... why is applian being so silent?