Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Access to internet station - how to?

Default Access to internet station - how to?

I have added www.thearrow.co.uk to "My stations", both the url and then what I took to be the media "stream" data (which I don't understand), but in both cases I can't access the station. There must be some black art in getting the system to work, quite apart from recording the content when the connection has been established. Can someone please let me know the secret? Tks.

Default Re: Access to internet station - how to?

Hi Magic Sam,

You need to make sure to enter the correct stream URL for recording and tuning to occur. In this case, the URL for Arrow that you would enter into the URL field is: http://mediasrv-sov.musicradio.com/Arrow

The audio stream of this station can be both stream captured as well as tuned.

Regards,

Tom Mayes

Great, thanks, this has had me defeated for ages. It worked - but only after I had changed the settings from Real Player to Windows Media Player (otherwise I use VRL but this isn't listed as an option)

Why could I not get the correct stream URL for myself - how does one get it?

I suppose what I have done is "captured". What then is "tuning" to the uninitiated?

THere are lots of ways to determine the URL of a stream. It is a litle bit of black art. But the easiest way to determine the stream ( and it may not always work ) is to use our integrated URL Finder. Open Replay AV, click Tools, URL Finder. Then when the URL Finder window appears, go to the station in question and click onthe Listen Live r other link to luanch the Player. If successful, the URL of te stream will appear in the window. Often, there will be a few choices. So, you need to differentiate between an advetising URL and the good URL. Then highlight the "good" URL and click Add as New Show. The URL will populate automatically into the Properties windw. You can then name the statin / show as you see fit.

By default, the new stream is added as a stream capture ( Capture by Downloading ) recording method. Not all stations can be downloaded. So, you'll need to test. If not, you'll need to change the recording method to Capture by Recordig Audio Output. For tuning, the defat is General Streaming Audio. This opens a browser Player. If you know that the audio is a Windows Media file ( as this one is ) then you will need to check the Capture by Recording Audio Output box, and change the streaming option to Windows Media. Click OK. Then go back again to the Properties window and change the recording option to Capture by Downloading. This will allow you to stream capture the audio stream, and tune to it. Tuning means that you can actually play the audio stream of the station with a single click ( even while recording it ). Click on the station and click Tune to Station from the drop down menu. The audio stream will begin playing in whatever Player situation you have set up.

Tom.

Looks like I am certainly having my money's worth from the Forum. I will print off what you have kindly supplied and work through it - I suspect it will be more than 5 minutes' entertainment ....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mayes View Post
    THere are lots of ways to determine the URL of a stream. It is a litle bit of black art. But the easiest way to determine the stream ( and it may not always work ) is to use our integrated URL Finder. Open Replay AV, click Tools, URL Finder.
    Tom.
    Tom I'm missing a trick. The toolbar buttons that I have are (from left to right) video history, record audio, convert, play, settings, TV Channels as well as the "Play" button itself. Neither of the play buttons can be persuaded to bring up Tools, URL Finder. Is your suggestion only available in Freecorder 4 which I have not downloaded yet? - I am still on 3.6

The URL Finder is a utility available in Replay AV only. It is not a part of the free toolbar. You can always download Replay AV and use it in demo mode. The URL Finder feature will work in demo mode. Replay AV is our advanced recording program designing for recording radio station and shows. You can check it out here: http://www.applian.com/replay-av/

Tom.

What you have now explained occurred to me a short time after sending my last post >> reformulate query: "Replay Music" would seem to be all that I need for streaming and recording audio such as The Arrow only. Would the URL Finder work in Replay Music also? And are both Freecorder and Replay Music also "standalone" programs - I run Freecorder only from within the Firefox toolbar. Tks. (I could keep using Replay AV in demo mode - but that would be cheating (not cricket)!

Yes. You can use Replay Music to record any audio stream. But, Replay Music is designed for music oriented streams that you want to be split and tagged. It does not have scheduling abaility like Replay AV, nor a URL Finder as you don't need to launch the audio stream automatically when using Replay Music. Replay AV is designed to luanch the audio stream ( hence it needs to know the stream URL ) automatically at a specified start time and stop it at a specified time. So, it really depends on how you want to record Arrow ( manually or automatically ). This will then provide the input needed for which program to use. And, there is no problem using AV in demo mode - the features are all available. It is just limited in it srecording time duration capability.

Thanks for clarifying the difference. My (present) needs are pretty basic and auto-scheduling would not be used much. But the facility to split and tag (and identify the track and artist if this is something different) would be particularly useful in the case of The Arrow. Seems like Record Music is the one to go for and just use Record A/V in demo if there is a new station that I need to get the stream data for.