Thread: Replay Media Catcher works on Ubuntu with Wine (Crossover) and on Mac OS with Wine (WineBottler)

Cool Replay Media Catcher works on Ubuntu with Wine (Crossover) and on Mac OS with Wine (WineBottler)

It's known fact that Linux + Flashplayer = horrible performance, even with the latest Flash version 10. So I installed Replay Media Catcher using Crossover and a new bottle, but kept getting an error. I then used the default Crossover bottle (which has Internet Explorer 6.0 and other stuff already installed) and voila!

I use Crossover Linux, however Wine should work fine. The makers of Crossover are the main developers of Wine.

http://www.codeweavers.com/

I use the default 98 bottle with I.E. 6.0, Flash, Core Fonts, WMP, installed etc.

Now I can go to hulu.com, grab the videos, and play them via VLC for Linux, which has support for FLV files natively. If you use Ubuntu desktop, like I do, you can get VLC via Synaptics Package Manager.

One thing I noticed, using my EEE PC 901, the Replay Media Catcher window was tiny. If that happens just grab the corner of the window and expand it. It keeps the setting after you exit.

It works awesome!

Question:

If new versions break with Wine or Crossover (based on Wine) can we report that or is it just good luck and bad luck?

Thank you.
    Last edited by escapedturkey; 10-04-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Default Replay Media Catcher works on Ubuntu with Wine (Crossover) and on Mac OS with Wine (WineBottler)

The program is not made to work with Linux. That you are able to get it working is amazing to me. Keep us informed and thanks for the input.

Default Re: Replay Media Catcher works on Ubuntu with Wine (Crossover) and on Mac OS with Wine (WineBottler)

It may not be made to work in Linux/Unix - but it does! I use this with Darwine (Wine for Mac OSX). Works a treat OK so i could use Boot Camp or Parallels or VM Fusion, but why bother with all that?

I have over the years learned every trick there is for saving internet video on a Mac, but I was stumped by an RTMP stream and could find nothing for OSX, so tried about 5 Windows programs. Replay Media Catcher was the only one that worked with Wine - I'd guess that means it's a clean, well-written application, so congrats to all concerned.

I use FireFox for Windows as a browser, also running under Wine/X11, set the My Recordings folder to be on my desktop in my Mac home directory, Perian deals with opening flv files in QuickTime - and that's it. No need to install Windows. Replay Media Catcher was the only part of the process that cost me money, but no probs with that if it works! Thank you

Cool Re: Replay Media Catcher works on Ubuntu with Wine (Crossover) and on Mac OS with Wine (WineBottler)

Jaycee, I hear Safari can grab flv's easy (via show activity) with OS/X but that's not the case?

I am using the combo above Crossover (WMP, FlashPlayer and Opera windows versions installed) in Ubuntu 8.04. Works fantastic!

Default Re: Replay Media Catcher works on Ubuntu with Wine (Crossover) and on Mac OS with Wine (WineBottler)

Yes, the Activity Window method in Safari works great for many things (including YouTube), but only if there's a visible URL for the video in the window and the video is streamed over http.

As I said, the one that got me looking here was an rtmp stream (from the MSN site). I've had to use Replay for MySpace vids as well.

It isn't something I need to do often, but nice to have this as a fall-back

I have Wine set to XP mode.

I use IE4Linux as well - that saved my bacon the other day when a customer needed to register on a site that didn't work in Safari, Firefox Mac or Firefox Windows - customer was about to find a PC - I fired up Internet Explorer 6 on my Mac and all was well! But that's off-topic, sorry! Just that I never have managed to install and run a standard Microsoft version of IE in Wine. I guess that's what you pay for in Crossover
    Last edited by jaycee; 10-10-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Default Re: Re: Replay Media Catcher works on Ubuntu with Wine (Crossover) and on Mac OS with Wine (WineBottler)

Just tested Replay Media Catcher 3.11 on Ubuntu 9.10 with Wine.

Watching YouTube flash videos in Firefox 3.5.5 for Windows and Downloading YouTube http:// video streams with RMC 3.11 (Ubuntu 9.10):

Watching Justin TV flash videos in Firefox 3.5.5 for Windows and Downloading Justin TV rtmp:// flash video streams with RMC 3.11 (Ubuntu 9.10):

Watching cam4 flash videos in Firefox 3.5.5 for Windows and Downloading cam4 rtmp:// video streams with RMC 3.11 (Ubuntu 9.10):
    (edited due to adult content)

It is as easy as running RMC and Firefox on Windows.

The most amazing thing is that Ubuntu is free and Wine is free as well! And you don't even need to run a virtual machine like free Virtual Box, plus you don't need a license for Windows to use RMC on Linux or Mac OS!!!

p.s. It should be as easy to run RMC on a Mac. Plan to test it in the nearest future. Stay tuned!

Default Re: Re: Replay Media Catcher works on Ubuntu with Wine (Crossover) and on Mac OS with Wine (WineBottler)

Mr. Stream Recorder - watch the content in your posts! I deleted an inappropriate image. This is a family site

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha Heinlein View Post
    Mr. Stream Recorder - watch the content in your posts! I deleted an inappropriate image. This is a family site
    Oops... Sorry for that.

It's just so many adult videos are downloaded/captured with Replay Media Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    It may not be made to work in Linux/Unix - but it does! I use this with Darwine (Wine for Mac OSX). Works a treat OK so i could use Boot Camp or Parallels or VM Fusion, but why bother with all that?
    Darwine has not been updated for a while. So currently it is better to use Wine or WineBottler on Mac OS X. Both are freeware. WineBottler may not offer the latest version fine, but it offers a .DMG package which it easy to install.

I have over the years learned every trick there is for saving internet video on a Mac, but I was stumped by an RTMP stream and could find nothing for OSX, so tried about 5 Windows programs. Replay Media Catcher was the only one that worked with Wine - I'd guess that means it's a clean, well-written application, so congrats to all concerned.
    Still haven't found any other GUI RTMP downloaders for Windows that work on Linux and Mac OS X with Wine.

I use FireFox for Windows as a browser, also running under Wine/X11, set the My Recordings folder to be on my desktop in my Mac home directory, Perian deals with opening flv files in QuickTime - and that's it.
    I use both Opera for Windows and Firefox for Windows (and of course Adobe Flash Player for Windows). And I play flv files with freeware VLC on Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

No need to install Windows. Replay Media Catcher was the only part of the process that cost me money, but no probs with that if it works!
    +1
    Testing Replay Media Catcher 3.11, Replay AV and Replay Music not only on Windows 7/Vista/XP, but also on Ubuntu Linux and Mac OS X using freeware Wine...

Like my suggestion? Hit the star below to add it to my reputation.