Thread: What format do I use to convert a recording in Replay Media Catcher from BBC iPlayer to a DVD which I can watch in my DVD player?

Question What format do I use to convert a recording in Replay Media Catcher from BBC iPlayer to a DVD which I can watch in my DVD player?

Sadly I am completely non-technical.
    I would dearly like to convert a recording I have made using Replay Media Catcher onto a DVD. The recording was of a show from BBC iPlayer.
    I know I have to use 'Conversion', but there are a lot of DVD formats and I haven't a clue about them.
    I'd like to be able to create a DVD which I can watch in a normal DVD player connected (by someone else of course) to my TV.
    Which option do I use and how do I create a DVD?
    Simple really - but not all of us are able to distinguish what 'DVD NTSC MPG MPEG2 Same Quality AC3' is from 'DVD PAL MPEG2 Same Quality AC3' is. It's complete gobbledegook to me.
    I look forward to the day when I can just speak to my PC and say "Please create a DVD of the show I just recorded" but that day seems a long long way off !!

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help me.

Default Re: What format do I use to convert a recording in Replay Media Catcher from BBC iPlayer to a DVD which I can watch in my DVD player?

hi, you managed to record a show from BBC iplayer with RMC? Congrats
    I am not so sure if you NEED to convert your video prior to burning to DVD+R.
    If you have a video file on disc (for example "videoXYZ.flv"), then i would use the recording wizard of your DVD-burner (Nero Express, or Ahead Nero Burning Rom, Nero 10, ..) to burn it to DVD-Video format (on DVD+R). Future versions of RMC4 will be able to burn directly to disc media .. till then i'd rather use Nero. Just make sure that you burn a "DVD-Video" and not a "data dvd" format

Nero does the conversion on the fly, prior to burning.

Default Re: What format do I use to convert a recording in Replay Media Catcher from BBC iPlayer to a DVD which I can watch in my DVD player?

Hi and thanks for the reply - and so quick too.

Yes, it was a major miracle that I managed to record the programme from the iPlayer. I totally amazed myself. I only found the 'catcher' software by typing 'how do i record an iPlayer programme' into Google. Most computer stuff is extreme mystery to me. But I followed the instructions from Replay Media Catcher and even I could work those - which was nice.

And, yes, I do seem to have managed make a copy of the recording onto my desktop and it is a .flv. But, I don't seem to be able to find 'Nero' or a 'DVD-burner'. I did work out that my disc drive is capable of doing things with DVDs because I have managed to watch a pre-recorded one in it.

After I saw your reply I thought I would try 'Roxio', which I found on my PC, it says it is a 'media editor' but it wants to 'Import' and it won't import my.flv file - that would be far too easy I suppose. So I guess I need to try to find Nero on the internet.

Really I am very grateful you took the time to try to help me.

I am also trying to find a way of taking the audio of the programme I recorded and putting it onto a CD so I can listen to it in my CD player and my car - but I suspect that is way too complex. Getting it onto a DVD is hard enough, and I haven't managed it yet.

Once again, many thanks

I know you want to burn it to dvd's, and I wont be very helpful with that except to state that by using nero I used to be able to do take videos and convert them; but you may also want to look into getting something like a WDTV or a similar media player. If this is something you plan to do frequently. You still have to convert the FLV files to a compatible stream, but it is easier to put it on a thumb drive and play it on the wdtv then it is to convert it again and burn it. Also here in the USA some of the newer HD tvs have USB ports built in that can transcode video, so you may want to see if you tv can do that already (worth a shot anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by warrick View Post
    Simple really - but not all of us are able to distinguish what 'DVD NTSC MPG MPEG2 Same Quality AC3' is from 'DVD PAL MPEG2 Same Quality AC3' is. It's complete gobbledegook to me.
    I look forward to the day when I can just speak to my PC and say "Please create a DVD of the show I just recorded" but that day seems a long long way off !!
    Quote Originally Posted by demotester View Post
    I am not so sure if you NEED to convert your video prior to burning to DVD+R.
    If you have a video file on disc (for example "videoXYZ.flv"), then i would use the recording wizard of your DVD-burner (Nero Express, or Ahead Nero Burning Rom, Nero 10, ..) to burn it to DVD-Video format (on DVD+R). Future versions of RMC4 will be able to burn directly to disc media .. till then i'd rather use Nero. Just make sure that you burn a "DVD-Video" and not a "data dvd" format
    You probably live live in Europe, so create a PAL DVD. If you live in the USA, create an NTSC DVD.

If you purchased the Replay Capture Suite or Replay Converter, you can use it to convert FLV files to DVD.
    There are also free programs that can do it, so you don't really need Nero to burn a DVD-Video disc from FLV files.

Quote Originally Posted by walker428 View Post
    I know you want to burn it to dvd's, and I wont be very helpful with that except to state that by using nero I used to be able to do take videos and convert them; but you may also want to look into getting something like a WDTV or a similar media player. If this is something you plan to do frequently. You still have to convert the FLV files to a compatible stream, but it is easier to put it on a thumb drive and play it on the wdtv then it is to convert it again and burn it.
    When burning videos onto DVD, you lose quality. So I agree that using a network media player is a better idea. Please note that WDTV doesn't support FLV files, so you need to convert them to other formats. But ASUS HDP-R1 O!Play and Brite-View BV-5005 do support FLV files (at least the ones using MPEG-4 or h.264 video codecs)!

Quote Originally Posted by warrick View Post
    I am also trying to find a way of taking the audio of the programme I recorded and putting it onto a CD so I can listen to it in my CD player and my car - but I suspect that is way too complex. Getting it onto a DVD is hard enough, and I haven't managed it yet.
    How to burn BBC radio recordings (audio) to CD to listen in my car CD player