Thread: HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic found in the "Replay Media Catcher 4" & "Replay Capture Suite" *.msi file

Thumbs down HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic found in the "Replay Media Catcher 4" & "Replay Capture Suite" *.msi file

Hello:

I recently purchased the Replay Capture Suite and started exploring the different applications. I began noticing audio anomalies that i had never heard on my system before. I was hearing (and seeing) stuttering of the audio streams (repeating of content), choppy audio (momentary breaks in the stream), no audio, ect... I contacted Tech Support (TS) and was told that these products have a 'heavy systems demand" and that I should "try closing down all other applications". This in-spite of the fact that my 2.4 Ghz CPU was only seeing about a 30% load, my 4 GB of RAM was on loaded to 1.1 GB, the I/O was under 10% utilization with RMC4 in full swing. I was also running RMC4 in 64 bit mode on Window 7 Ultimate. However, I tried shutting every thing else down, it did not help. I then tried running it after a "clean boot" of the system, again no help. So then I decided to re-install.

Upon reinstalling I found that my registration "Key" no longer worked. Apparently it only works once. So I contacted Tech Support and four days later I still have not heard back from them. :-( So while I was waiting on TS I decided to run an in-depth, extensive, anti-virus / malware scan of my system. Even though my firewall is always running and it checks all downloaded files I thought that it might be a good idea to double check. Most firewalls perform a cursory check of all downloaded file prior to committing them to disk, and most have a more robust, deeper level of scan available as an option. That is the scan that i then ran. I also ran the deep scan of Windows Defender and the one from Malwarebytes. I was surprised to find the following:

HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic was found in C:\Users\Doug\Downloads\Applian Software\RCATSetup4-x64.exe on 2/13/2011 6:24:26

And

HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic was found in C:\Program Files\Applian Technologies\Replay Media Catcher 4\ffmpeg.exe

And

HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic was found in C:\Windows\Installers\143da9f.msi - which is the install disk file for the Replay Capture Suite (the Digital Signature of this file was "NAME:Applian Technologies Inc.; EMAIL: not available; SIGNING TIME: Wednesday, ‎January ‎19, ‎2011 9:54:05 PM. This was also counter signed "VeriSign Time Stamping Services Signer - G2 ; Wednesday, ‎January ‎19, ‎2011 9:54:05 PM.

These were also reported to Applian TS and again I am still waiting for a reply, four days later. I am now sitting here with a "clean system" waiting for a new "Key" and wondering if i really want to reinstall these products at all. I might be money ahead if I ask for my money back and search elsewhere for a product. Has anyone else had similar issues or anything good to say about these applications or their Support (or the lack thereof)?

Caveat Emptor!

Best regards,
    Doug

Default Re: HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic found in the "Replay Media Catcher 4" & "Replay Capture Suite" *.msi file

Good evening Doug,

Welcome to the forums.

On some systems, once you install Replay Media Catcher, you may see a warning that Spyware has been loaded onto your PC. You can safely ignore this warning. Replay Media Catcher needs to monitor the network traffic to your PC to record -- this is similar to what some Spyware programs do, and Windows may not be able to tell them apart.

Replay Media Catcher does not:

* Capture anything other than video or audio streams.
    * Send or capture any personal information.

I hope this helps to clarify things. :-)

With further regards to your issue - if you still have not heard from Tech Support regarding this issue, please PM ME your ticket # so I can look into that for you! :-)
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.