Thread: Can files be captured that are dvd compatible?

Default Can files be captured that are dvd compatible?

Hello,

I'm a new user of WM capture which I understand is essentially the same software as RV capture. I want to capture a series of lectures that are streaming on the web. I can successfully capture but how do I make the video dvd compliant (ie 720x480)?

The website I am using requires a full screen view (no chance of partially minimizing). The lecture is a set of slides in the middle of the screen and I simply capture that portion but, how do I position the box to capture exactly 720 x 480? Is there a way to keep the highlighted square in the position? There's a new class each week and it would helpful be able to immediately record rather than fuss with placement of the capture box.

Thank you
    ========
    Add in

I have captured a couple classes and tried to burn as dvd's. I set the fps at 25 and video recording at highest level. The captures play in all my computer video players. However, I have a professional video editing program (Video Redo) and audio stumbles badly in this software. I asked VRD support to take a look at one of captures and they said that the actual video capture rate was 20 fps not 25 fps. The audio stuttering was due to the non dvd compliant fps. They further found that if the headers were changed to 20 fps (remuxing the file to change fps) that it played fine in VRD and other video players. VRD told me that I would have change use a fps converter on all the WM captures if I wanted to burn a dvd. I do not want to use extra software at all.... Please help!
    Last edited by MyIdaho; 01-27-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added info

Default Re: Can files be captured that are dvd compatible?

In most cases you will need to convert the files to a format that works with your DVD Player. Each system is a little different so the MPEG 2 format you are able to record with may work. Give it a try and if it doesn't then convert to a format that works with your player. Regarding your window that is not always possible. Again, a lot depends on your system and what version of Windows you are using. Windows 7, as an example, often does move what you want a little to get a proper recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    In most cases you will need to convert the files to a format that works with your DVD Player. Each system is a little different so the MPEG 2 format you are able to record with may work. Give it a try and if it doesn't then convert to a format that works with your player. Regarding your window that is not always possible. Again, a lot depends on your system and what version of Windows you are using. Windows 7, as an example, often does move what you want a little to get a proper recording.
    What is your recommended process for converting the files?

Quote Originally Posted by MyIdaho View Post
    What is your recommended process for converting the files?
    Please try Replay Converter for this.
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Thanks for your reply Jeff!

Is there a free trial for replay converter? Does it convert the default WM capture files from 20 fps to dvd compatible 23.976 fps?

I have received an email reply from Roger Urich at Applian and he said: "However, I am happy to say that in our newest version of WM Capture (which will be coming out in about 2-3 weeks) we have incorporated a powerful DVD burning feature, which not only has WM Capture recording at the proper framerate, and resolution for DVD burning, but also includes a "Direct-to-DVD" feature where as soon as a video is finished recording it can be burned to DVD without any additional modification." Do you know if this will be a free upgrade to existing customers?

I currently use a professional grade editing program (Video Redo). Support has given a procedure for converting WM Capture files to conventional dvd fps. The steps are as follows: 1) load file into tsMuxeR and demux to separate video and audio; 2) load stripped video from step one into DGpulldown, select custom conversion and convert from 20 fps to 23.976 fps; and 3) mux the fixed video file from step two plus the audio file from step 1. I then load into Video redo for editing, adjusting audio sync if needed, and burning to dvd. Both txMuxerR and DGpulldown are free software, very easy to use, and it is a quick process on my new gaming quality computer.

There is a free trial of Replay Converter yes, however if you already have WM Recorder & WM Converter - you'd probably be fine waiting. Either one should do the trick for you - but Replay Converter has a DVD Burning feature now

I hope this helps!
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Replay Video Capture 5 allows to record videos in DVD ISO image format ready to be burned on disc. This eliminates hours of conversion or transcoding.

http://www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/

Wrong thread...moved.
    Last edited by pantaydaya; 05-26-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: wrong thread