Thread: Cannot select a 'Line' for the Windows Input device

Default Cannot select a 'Line' for the Windows Input device

Hi, just installed freecorder and it seems great - especially for freeware. But, I can't select a Line from the dropdown box when I check record from Windows Input Device radio button in Settings. The list is there but no selections can be made; the box just stays blank.

Consequently, it records from the speakers and picks up hard drive noise and other background noise and sounds rubbish. I have updated all my drivers and checked that everything is enabled. I'm running XP Pro and Firefox. (I get the same thing under IE)

any ideas?

Have you tried the latest drivers for your soundcard?

Yep, all the drivers are updated and all the lines are checked via control panel. I can select the different options using Audacity though.
    Last edited by zaine; 09-23-2008 at 01:29 AM.

Does your soundcard show in the Device drop down box?

Yep, it shows up there and its elements are in the drop down list in the 'Line:' box. But if you select one the box stays empty.

The only two things I can think of is:
    1- Open Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel, in the Audio tab, uncheck the box next to 'Use only default devices'.
    2- Uninstall and reinstall Freecorder, and try using it's default settings.

No joy, I'm afraid. Same problem on both IE and Firefox. Thanks for your help. Very frustrating as this looks like a great product.

If you select that bottom box, it is the one for recording with the microphone! Leave that one unchecked and you won't get the sound coming straight from your speakers! Actually, the default for Freecorder is just the top option checked - to record from Freecorder audio driver.
    My problem is that installing Freecorder seems to have disabled my microphone! I can only record from it in Freecorder, and that's pretty crap! Everything else I try and use it for immediately 'Mutes' the mike so I can't use it in SKYPE or Windows Live Messenger! I can't even record a test in Windows!

Same here, for me. However, it still works. I can input with the mic-in or line-in and record. I did setup a 'No Sounds' selection in WindowsXP SP2, so that I have no
    Windows sounds in a recording when I'm either browsing or surfing or other clicking around.

I'm using IE 6.xx.

I haven't tried other FreeCorder setups to see if I can/could be able to select the Line-In options.
    Maybe I'll play around with it at some point, but there's some other non-FreeCorder problems I'm trying to figure-out for now.

One, which is why I haven't posted a screenshot of my FreeCorder Settings, is that I'm having trouble saving some file at times, especially image files. It was with PaintBrush. So I downloaded PaintNet, and I still have the same problem. This all started after I has installed a digital camera's software, and/or a screensaver program(s). I tried to Restore back prior to these program installs, but still have problems saving an image.

I try a save, the program freezes, then I 'End Program' after trying to close it, upon getting a 'problem closing' message.

- Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by zaine View Post
    I can't select a Line from the dropdown box when I check record from Windows Input Device radio button in Settings. The list is there but no selections can be made; the box just stays blank...