Thread: Using Dropbox and a question on deleting old shows.

Default Using Dropbox and a question on deleting old shows.

Hi all,

I record a couple 5 day a week (M-F) radio programs and came up with a very cool way to get them to my iPhone last week. I created a dropbox account and by installing the Dropbox iPod app on my phone and sharing my computer's recoding folder, I can listen to all my recordings on the fly where ever I am. I have my ReplayAV recordings set to split every hour so I can use it like a DVR (avr?) and by 7:30am I can start listening to the 6am hour and skip all the commercials with a swipe of my finger. By the time I am done with the 6am hour the 7am is usually available in my share and I can pause it when needed so I never miss a minute.

If you don't know what dropbox is you should check it out. I'm posting a link that will give me a referral (just more free space on dropbox) so please use it to sign up - you get 2 gig to start but you can get over 10 free if people sign up through you!

Here is the link: http://db.tt/ovLJWv7

Now that all being said - here is my question. The radio shows are on M-F - I want to always have the two most recent shows available to listen to. This is a problem with the 'delete shows over X days old' since on Saturday ReplayAV deletes Thursday's show and on Sunday it deletes Fridays so I have nothing to listen to.

Anyone know if there is a way to set it to delete all but the 2 most recent recordings instead of going by the age of the recording?

thanks in advance!

Ooops - one other question - when converting the show names are keeping the 'asf' in the name - is there a way to remove that? My current settings to name it are as follows...

%Y-%m-%d-%%s

Which results in a show being names as:

2011-05-02-SHOWNAME_01.asf.mp3 - any way to not include the asf after converting?

thanks again
    Last edited by refmon; 05-02-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: one more thing...

Default Re: Using Dropbox and a question on deleting old shows.

You are not able to change what it deletes I'm afraid. Good idea, though, and it will be passed on. When converting it shows .asf.mp3 to show what it converts from and to. You would be able to manually delete .asf

I just realized a work around. I am setting up two separate recordings profiles.

One recording will record M T W and delete after 2 days - then I'll set up another recording for Th & F and they will delete after 4 days.

Thanks again.

Great solution

I usually use RAV with the automatic YouSendIt option at home and email the files to work on the weekends. It usually works great, with only a few glitches every now and then with a file not attaching and therefore locking up. The biggest problem was using up the limited bandwidth on YouSendIt’s free account.
    It took me a little while to get around to exploring it, but refmon’s suggestion about Dropbox is really great!!! The free account gives you 2GB, but clicking the link will give both an extra 250MB, and you can build it up to 8GB. If refmon’s referrals are full, click mine:
    http://db.tt/Z8bjlO1
    You can have a shared folder on two or more computers, or even your phone. You adding or deleting files in this folder will add or delete on all systems!
    So if you set up RAV to store the files in this dropbox folder, you can access the files from anywhere automatically, or even with any computer that has internet access. And the nice thing about this is that the 2 (up to 8) GB limit is only the STORAGE limit, so once you move files out of the dropbox folder they don’t count towards that limit. It appears you can move unlimited amounts through, as long as you keep deleting. This really makes handling recordings easy. It beats moving them around on multiple flashdrives!

Dropbox will also work on an iPad! It is easy to use and something that I use all the time.