Thread: Replay Video Capture Users

Default Replay Video Capture Users

I would like to hear what results current users of Replay Video Capture are having. I have been trying now for over a week to get it to record good video quality without much success. I've have been working with RVC Tech Support as well but even they haven't been able to figure out what's wrong here.

Since I have seen several posts about such problems on the forum, I am wondering if others are also having the same problems, or is just a few of us?

Your comments will be much appreciated.

Best regards, Richard

Default Re: Replay Video Capture Users

Hi Richard - and all users at that.

Would you please tell us what type of PC you're using, what type of processor and how much ram?

I, for example, Use Win 7 64 Bit. I've got an i5 Processor, and use 6gb of ram - so of course it works perfectly for me.

Thanks for clarifying!
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Hi Jeff, thanks for replying. Your PC is really a powerhouse compared to mine.

CPU specs. corrected 11/17/10. Is actually a single core - not dual.

Mine is a Dell Dimension E510 with Windows XP, MCE edition (vs.2002) SP3. CPU is Intel Pentium 4 dual core at 3.2Ghz. RAM is 2.5Gb.

Audio synch is fine but video is not smooth - it jerks with momentary pauses. When recording, CPU usage is between 75 - 85% - it never maxes out.

Best regards, Richard
    Last edited by rckowal; 11-17-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lenney View Post
    Hi Richard - and all users at that.

Would you please tell us what type of PC you're using, what type of processor and how much ram?

I, for example, Use Win 7 64 Bit. I've got an i5 Processor, and use 6gb of ram - so of course it works perfectly for me.

Thanks for clarifying!
    Jeff, Please expand on the capabilities of your machine. I'm considering replacing mine some time soon.

Which version Win 7 (Home or Pro)?. Which I5 CPU (number or specs)? Home built or commercially (brand name) built PC?

Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rckowal View Post
    Which version Win 7 (Home or Pro)?
    There shouldn't be any difference between recording in Windows 7 Home, Premium or Enterprise.

Which I5 CPU (number or specs)? Home built or commercially (brand name) built PC?
    Any Core i5 should be able to record MPEG-2 videos without any problem. Unless you want to record 1080p videos I suppose. Jeff, what is the max resolution your i5 can handle?

My core 2 duo 6300 (1.86Hz) records 480p videos without any problem. CPU usage is between 50% and 65%.

Stream Recorder,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think turning off some services/processes would reduce CPU usage enough to smooth out the video?

Regards, Richard

Some tips that may help to record from screen:

1. close all unnecessary applications including instant messengers, e-mail clients, Web-browsers. It is also a good idea to stop your antivirus, anti-malware, anti-spyware software, disconnect from the Internet (unless you record an online video) and stop your firewall. Don't forget to turn on your system protection after recording.

2. Consider lowering the desktop screen resolution. Also use High Color (16bit) instead of True Color (32bit).

3. Use a defragmentation utility

Jeff, Please expand on the capabilities of your machine. I'm considering replacing mine some time soon.

Which version Win 7 (Home or Pro)?. Which I5 CPU (number or specs)? Home built or commercially (brand name) built PC?

Regards, Richard
    Hi Richard - I'm over building my own PC's, I've done it - now i'm done with it. :-) The pc i'm using is a dell XPS, got it over a year ago so i'm sure they're even upgraded further than mine is now. Good price, good warranty, no complaints from me!

Hi Jeff, thanks for replying. Your PC is really a powerhouse compared to mine.

CPU specs. corrected 11/17/10. Is actually a single core - not dual.

Mine is a Dell Dimension E510 with Windows XP, MCE edition (vs.2002) SP3. CPU is Intel Pentium 4 dual core at 3.2Ghz. RAM is 2.5Gb.

Audio synch is fine but video is not smooth - it jerks with momentary pauses. When recording, CPU usage is between 75 - 85% - it never maxes out.

Best regards, Richard
    Thanks again for replying Richard - To get the best quality video with Replay Video Capture - especially on slower machines - try the following:

1. Go to Settings, and make sure you are using the MPEG-2 video format. Also, you may want to click on "Recommended Settings" at the top and select the most fitting option according to your pc configuration.

2. Try recording from a smaller video window by resizing your player to 1/4 of your screen, or no more than 480x640 pixels. This won't affect the video quality (since video is scaled UP from smaller sizes to fit a full-screen picture). This will require less computer power to capture, which will make for smoother videos.

Let me know if this makes a difference. We'll look into other possibilities if this doesn't help.
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated. You suggested:

1. Go to Settings, and make sure you are using the MPEG-2 video format. Also, you may want to click on "Recommended Settings" at the top and select the most fitting option according to your pc configuration.

2. Try recording from a smaller video window by resizing your player to 1/4 of your screen, or no more than 480x640 pixels. This won't affect the video quality (since video is scaled UP from smaller sizes to fit a full-screen picture). This will require less computer power to capture, which will make for smoother videos.

I've already tried these steps every way possible but it makes little, if any, difference in the smoothness of the video replay. I've even closed down apps running in the background, cleaned the PC (including Registry), defragged, etc. but no joy! I'm going to try disabling un-needed Windows Services to reduce demand on the CPU. If that doesn't work, I'll have to forget capturing video with RVC or it's time for a new PC.

Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by stream-recorder.com View Post
    Some tips that may help to record from screen:

1. close all unnecessary applications including instant messengers, e-mail clients, Web-browsers. It is also a good idea to stop your antivirus, anti-malware, anti-spyware software, disconnect from the Internet (unless you record an online video) and stop your firewall. Don't forget to turn on your system protection after recording.

2. Consider lowering the desktop screen resolution. Also use High Color (16bit) instead of True Color (32bit).

3. Use a defragmentation utility
    Hi Stream-Recorder, Thanks for the comments.

I regularly clean & defrag my OS & apps but never considered the other ideas you suggest. I'll try them, along with shutting down un-needed Windows Services. I strongly believe now that my machine is a bit underpowered so I'll have to reduce demand on the CPU - or give it up.

Regards, Richard