Thread: Which program should I buy?

Default Which program should I buy?

Currently I use the internet to watch various shows (itv and bbc programs using a vpn and us shows from nbc, hulu etc). I record them as I stream them to a dvd recorder via a s-video connection from my laptop and then can play them on my dvd player and watch whenever I want.

I would like to eliminate recording on the dvd recorder and just have a wmv or some other common file to play on my wd media player and not have to hook my laptop up to the tv.

I have looked at the various programs and am really confused. Do I want to buy a screen catcher program or a stream recorder program (I really don't want both). The stream recorder seems right but then I would have to convert to wmv, the catcher programs convert as they capture.

What is best for getting programs from itv, bbc, nbc and having it in a common file like wmv so I can play it on my media player?

Default Re: Which program should I buy?

You are going to need both based on the sites you have mentioned. As an example I use Video Capture (screen) for Hulu and Media Catcher for CBS, NBC, and ABC. What program you use is dependent on the way a stream is captured. The player you use is dependent on the format that the program is recorded in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    You are going to need both based on the sites you have mentioned. As an example I use Video Capture (screen) for Hulu and Media Catcher for CBS, NBC, and ABC. What program you use is dependent on the way a stream is captured. The player you use is dependent on the format that the program is recorded in.
    Thanks for the reply....I do not get lots of video just the the one or two a week so I was hoping to just get one program and live with it.
    If I only get the video capture (screen) wouldn't that allow me to capture video from any source? Right now that is what I am doing, just having the stream go from my laptop to the dvd recorder, when it pauses or hangs up then that gets recorded. Wouldn't your screen capture program do the same thing?

Yes, a screen capture program would do the same. it is going to record what it sees and hears so if it sees a pause that is what you would get.