Thread: Turning Off Update

Angry Turning Off Update

How do I stop REPLAY Media Catcher 4 from asking me if I want to download an update? I keep choosing the "dismiss" option, but when I open up the program again, that damn fool notification keeps popping up and it's beginning to annoy me to no end. I don't want to update at this time!
    Last edited by Jeff Lenney; 09-04-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: No need to use font size 5 - we're able to read it regardless of font size :)

Default Re: Turning Off Update

Is there any reason you DON'T want to update? We're updating RMC CONSTANTLY in order to improve it and fix current issues. Updating it is free, and won't cause any of the current features to stop working....
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lenney View Post
    Is there any reason you DON'T want to update? We're updating RMC CONSTANTLY in order to improve it and fix current issues. Updating it is free, and won't cause any of the current features to stop working....
    As I said in another thread, "the 4.0.6 beta version was a great improvement in many features but still not reliable enough to risk losing good old 3.11. If we now hear from DWNLDR that the newest 4.0.9 is even spoiling the 3.11 setup then I can assume many of us will wait in the wings until there is a 4.0.x that can work safely alongside 3.11. before we risk another fiasco." That is the reason why I am not daring to update 4.0.6 yet.

hey if searched the forum but couldnt find anything. what problem is 4.0.9 causing 3.11???? ive got both and 3.11 seemed to be working fine lastnight???

if a problem is going to arise ill quite happily remove the newer one because 3.11 is the best piece of kit i own on here.

I picked this info up on the thread below by member DWNLDR so I have not risked trying it myself. As it works for you I will try on an old laptop:

https://forum.applian.com//showthrea...9321#post19321

Angry Turning Off Update REDUX

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lenney View Post
    I don't like to be forced to do an update, and that is what the RMC 4 program is trying to do! At least in RMC 3, the update function could be turned off. This forced update function that Applian seems to be pushing with RMC 4, feels and smells like something that Microsoft would try to foist on customers. I don't want to be married to Applian, and that is what this UPDATE function feels like! It does no matter why I don't want to update, by asking me that, you are avoiding the issue that I am bringing up. Frankly speaking, Applian seems to be adding more bugs with each RMC 4 update. So I will ask my original question again in plain ENGLISH. How do I turn off the update function in RMC 4? I am at the point now where I feel like junking RMC 4 completely!!!

Default Re: Turning Off Update REDUX

As we find streams that we need to add we do an update of the program. This adds features and in many cases corrects a bug that someone found. With a streaming program there are a lot of updates as technology changes on a daily basis and we want our programs to be current. Both Media Catcher 3 and Media Catcher 4 can be on the same system at the same time. You are not forced to do an update and just say no if you don't wish to. We do not have a feature to turn off the update-and if it were added it would require you to update to take advantage of it. This feature request will be passed on.

Exclamation Re: Turning Off Update REDUX - Somebody Listen to Me!

Hello Cheryl, thank you for your quick response. Keep in mind though, and I mentioned this in my posts, that RMC 3 has an option to turn-off updating, why can't RMC 4 have that same option? I personally don't need a babysitter nagging me every time I open the program, that an update is available. That is annoying, and feels like unwanted advertising. I bought the damn product, so leave me alone already! I also refuse to update the .NET Framework files from Microsoft, which I heard, is required for the updated RMC 4 to work properly. In fact I say to hell with Microsoft updates as they, like some Applian updates, causes more problems that it solves on some systems. Just read some of the threads here that mention problems with RMC 4 updates. I have very good NORTON internet protection and these so called "updates" are bogus!
    Last edited by endyr; 09-05-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Default Re: Turning Off Update REDUX - Somebody Listen to Me!

I have sent your suggestion on. The developers look at all suggestions and often add to an update of the program based on customer requests.

Red face Re: Turning Off Update REDUX - Somebody Listen to Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    I have sent your suggestion on. The developers look at all suggestions and often add to an update of the program based on customer requests.
    Thank you Cheryl for letting me vent.