Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any chance you can remove applian network driver when quitting the program please

Default Any chance you can remove applian network driver when quitting the program please

This network service is still problematic. It's resource-hungry at the best of times but for some reason it more than doubles it's consumption after time. this is probably due to some interaction with other services. I haven't managed to catch it go from less hungry to ravenous yet so can tell you why. I know that another upnp app produces similar strain when running but that doesn't add and leave a service so it is only an issue when it needs to be. Ie running.

For me the issue would go away if rmc removed or switched off the service when the application exited.
    thanks

Default Re: Any chance you can remove applian network driver when quitting the program please

Any comment on this one?

Default Re: Any chance you can remove applian network driver when quitting the program please

I'm trying to find out the Windows service you're talking about, but I can't. RMC 4 uses an NDIS network driver, not a service.

Could you please provide more details?

NOt sure if it is RMC4 but when I unchecked it then reinstalled RMC4 it came back checked.

Bumped for update.
    not being impatient just don,t want it to get lost!

Don't worry, I've notified the developer about your problem.

What kind of hardware do you use?

And what exactly do you mean by resource-hungry? CPU usage? Memory Usage? Both?

If you can record a short video or at least make screenshots showing what happens with your processes (Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to see them), that may help as well.

Been awaiting your response on this...only just noticed you were asking for some other stuff from me. I've had a ticket in for this since the start. Will Need to go find it. Anyway, the CPU goes to 100%. Memory appears okay. running on an acer core 2 duo laptop with 4 Gb ram. The CPU may be fine for a while and then goes 100% or sometimes just 80%+. I often woke up to find it thrashing but never actually saw the transition. Unticking the applian driver set it back to 0-5%. Everytime. Even at rest the applian driver is grabbing resources from what I can remember at least +25%. I don't want to see this taking anything unless I'm using the application. Wouldn't have thought it too big a deal to either remove or unchecked it when the application closes. It installed automatically.
    Cheers

This was fist brought up in a ticket 26 th July where I wrote that the system NT and kernel process was showing as constant 50% or more. Unchecking the applian box removed this. Rechecking the applian box brought it back. So it seams that the applian driver was causing it. I have another application which brings this process up high also but only when it is being used.

This sounds similar to the issue when tagging is malfunctioning.

I don't believe this is a service, per se, rather, an NDIS intermediate driver or hook driver used to re-assemble the packets from the network driver (a TDI driver being an application level version of doing the same.)

Having five years of experience developing and supporting them with my last job, they can be very problematic (and that's why Microsoft introduced WHQL certification for drivers like this.)

Should be interesting to find out about the implementation and if the issues are potentially related.

EDIT:

I'll add that we added a pass through mode for this very reason, controlled by an interupt request from application space (our implementation was for a network and application firewall, fwiw.)