Thread: Not crazy about RMC4: Busy interface, No Super Download, BBC is recorded as FLV not MP3 format

Default Not crazy about RMC4: Busy interface, No Super Download, BBC is recorded as FLV not MP3 format

Been a long time loyal user of Applian products, from the days of Replay Radio 5. I've used RMC4, and I'm sticking with 3--here's why:

1. Busy interface. For someone like me who purchased the entire suite, it's not necessary to be able to do (almost) everything RAV8 does from RMC. The straight-forward design of RMC3, even with its minor tech faults, is better.

2. No super download (that I can see). I've been recording 60 minute programs successfully from the BBC iplayer, and songs from Pandora, in a few seconds with RMC3's super download option. From what I've seen, using RMC4, a 60-minute download from the BBC would take...60 minutes.

(maybe) 3. Truer format discovery. Now, this one I'm a little in the dark on. I usually record a program from BBC London using the iplayer. When I record it using RMC3, it's an MP3. When I record it with RMC4, it's an FLV. I don't have automatic convert enabled or anything like that. Weird.

Had I not used RMC3 before, I'd love RMC4. But while it's probably a great stand-alone product as the flagship program of Applian, taking the place of RAV, I don't see the need for all the extras that come with RMC4. My humble opinion.

Default Re: Not crazy about RMC4: Busy interface, No Super Download, BBC is recorded as FLV not MP3 format

Quote Originally Posted by jslaff View Post
    (maybe) 3. Truer format discovery. Now, this one I'm a little in the dark on. I usually record a program from BBC London using the iplayer. When I record it using RMC3, it's an MP3. When I record it with RMC4, it's an FLV. I don't have automatic convert enabled or anything like that. Weird.
    Interesting... Can you post some URLs where this is happening?

Default Re: Not crazy about RMC4: Busy interface, No Super Download, BBC is recorded as FLV not MP3 format

Try the Danny Baker show at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...er_30_07_2010/

Weird thing is that neither version 3 or 4 recognize it when I play it using "Click to play." However, it does when I try the "pop-out player."

You are absolutely right. Most probably RMC 3.11 extracts MP3 tracks from FLV streams from BBC. Very useful feature.

Unhappy Re: Not crazy about RMC4 - I whole-heartedly agree

I too use the Media Catcher to download BBC radio programs from the iplayer every day. So, when I received the newest email from Applian telling me about the new version, I purchased the upgrade right away. I am sooooooooooooo disappointed! So much so, that I only used it once and then went back to the old version. The super-download facility in v.3.11, together with the automatic program title retrieval, is brilliant and I'm glad I did not delete the old version.

Default Re: Not crazy about RMC4 - I whole-heartedly agree

Quote Originally Posted by beansalad View Post
    I too use the Media Catcher to download BBC radio programs from the iplayer every day. So, when I received the newest email from Applian telling me about the new version, I purchased the upgrade right away. I am sooooooooooooo disappointed! So much so, that I only used it once and then went back to the old version. The super-download facility in v.3.11, together with the automatic program title retrieval, is brilliant and I'm glad I did not delete the old version.
    Testing RMC 4.0.6 beta... BBC streams using port 80 are detected just fine. Automatic program name retrieval and Super download are back.

Also Applian offers a 30-day unconditional money back guarantee, so there is nothing to worry about.

And you can use both RMC 4 and 3.11 at the same time.