Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC iPlayer. RMC used to record great but has now suddenly stopped.

Default BBC iPlayer. RMC used to record great but has now suddenly stopped.

I used RMC to record the BBC iplayer occasionally. I noticed a couple of months back it no longer did so. I was too busy to investigate at the time but now I want to record again it still won't do it. Browser is FF 3.6.4. Windows 7 64bit. I see in the forum someone can still record the BBC but not ITV so I assume it's not RMC but my computer at fault. So... what may be the cause. Have I changed some setting? Is it the Firefox version.

Please enlighten me.

Default Re: BBC iPlayer. RMC used to record great but has now suddenly stopped.

They have changed the way they stream. As of now Replay Media Catcher is not able to capture this. We do have our screen capture program-Replay Video Capture that works great with this. Give the demo of this a try.

I only use RMC to capture BBC iPlayer. Otherwise, it is almost useless. Freeware downloaders cover sites like youtube, etc.

Further, I think it is insulting to respond to a support question by telling customers to, essentially, buy another product.

We paid money for this product and we want it work. I suggest that becomes a priority or you won't have many more paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    They have changed the way they stream. As of now Replay Media Catcher is not able to capture this. We do have our screen capture program-Replay Video Capture that works great with this. Give the demo of this a try.
    I seem to remember the thing that convinced me to buy RMC was Applian's promise to update the thing if a site's streaming changed. Replay video capture is no good as you can't use that part of the screen while it's working. I am a little disappointed in Applian and annoyed at myself for falling for such crap marketing.

We do update all streams when we can. If the information is not available we can't update it. We are always looking into improving our programs. If you find a good URL or a method that works let us know and we would be glad to update it with that information. We have other programs available to work with streams that can't be stream captured. We prefer the stream capture method also. Thanks.

Cool Re: BBC iPlayer. RMC used to record great but has now suddenly stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by theamazingpete View Post
    I seem to remember the thing that convinced me to buy RMC was Applian's promise to update the thing if a site's streaming changed. Replay video capture is no good as you can't use that part of the screen while it's working. I am a little disappointed in Applian and annoyed at myself for falling for such crap marketing.
    I think that I need to jump into the fray here. I have been an ardent fan of the Replay Capture Suite for the past year. It does work as advertised! I operate 21 blogs, and without these programs, my blogs would have stalled a long time ago. I've been able to capture some wonderful material off of the net using Applian Technologies. I've said this in a previous post, no matter how brilliantly, or perfectly written, a program may be, it is not able to please everybody all of the time. If one tool does not work in the suite, use another. I've also tried most of the freeware capture programs available on the net, and none of them are as elegant as the Replay Capture Suite, or as easy to use. For example, ORBIT is one of the most popular freeware capture programs around. But just try to use it, you have to be a computer geek to figure it out, and it is not able to capture all video streams. Applian Technologies is not trying to cheat you. My final suggestion to you is to upgrade to the Video Capture Suite, it is well worth the money. And as Cheryl Wester said, the Replay Video Capture tool will capture that stream from the BBC that you want so much. I hope that this has been of some help to you.
    Last edited by endyr; 06-19-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Thumbs down Re: BBC iPlayer. RMC used to record great but has now suddenly stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by endyr View Post
    [SIZE="5"]I think that I need to jump into the fray here.
    No, you really don't. We are paying customers and we have legitimate complaints. Who are you to tell us otherwise.

We have had no assurances from Applian that they are working on this as a priority issue. Useless after sales support.

We are always working on improving our programs. It is out of our hands when a stream changes the way they stream. We are working on a new version. I don't know the features of it as of yet but it is scheduled to be released in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    We are always working on improving our programs. It is out of our hands when a stream changes the way they stream. We are working on a new version. I don't know the features of it as of yet but it is scheduled to be released in a few weeks.
    That's all well and good but you are still advertising the Replay Media Catcher as being able to record the BBC on your site here - http://www.applian.com/recording_sol...ice.php?id=280

This is not acceptable. You should at least replace it with "Not quite ready yet". As for the short sighted guy with the big letters, he may be pleased with his copy of Replay Capture Suite but this discussion isn't about that application.

I'm sure Cheryl you are quite genuine in what you say and not just touting the company line but Replay Video Capture is a different animal. The best thing about RMC was the fact it worked in the background, you could forget about it. RVC needs babying - you can't use that portion of the screen so basically you can't use your computer while recording. I have the same functionality in Total Recorder Video Edition which comes with regular free updates and doesn't advertise stuff it can't do.

I await eagerly the BBC update to RMC and thank you Cheryl for taking the time to read and respond to everyone.

I agree - I have the same issue, and have updated this software several times over the years. BBC must be one of the biggest players in streaming popular content, and it's a pretty poor show when software such as this, which is sold on the basis of picking up pretty much any media stream from the web, doesn't work with it.
    Excuses....I've had different versions of this software since 2005, and it's got steadily worse and bloated - shame, it used to be very simple and straightforward to record from BBC streams, no longer though.
    There must be other ways out there...

Edit - I've done a bit of digging, and found Freecorder4 on the Applian website - recording as I write this, from the BBC website....and it's free - is this a D'oh moment?
    Last edited by simon3030; 06-22-2010 at 02:32 PM.