Thread: Universal Audio Driver Cures Choppy Recording on New System

Default Universal Audio Driver Cures Choppy Recording on New System

After a lunchtimes investigation I have found a solution to a problem I was having with video playback becomming choppy on my new desktop when RVC was launched, but before recording was actually started. I haven't seen any other posts with this problem so I thought I'd put this one up for future reference.

I have been using RVC on my old Sony A217M laptop without a problem (1.6Ghz centrino single core with 2GB ram). The laptop is 5 years old now, but as long as I keep the video window down to 480x320 pixels it will capture a usable video in MPEG2 format.

I now have moved to a shiny new Dell Optiplex 960 desktop with an Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0Ghz, 4GB Ram and a NVidia Quadro FX1700 GPU connected to the internet router through a 1Ghz LAN. RVC is behaving strangely on this system. Here is a typical scenario.

1. Start playing a video on Youtube - Playback is smooth CPU loaded about 3%.

2. Launch RVC - Playback becomes choppy. This is before a capture area has been selected or the record button pressed. The stop/start is occuring very regularly about once a second. The CPU load drops slightly to 2%
    3. Close RVC - Playback becomes smooth again.

I have tried IE, Firefox and Google Chrome and all have the same problem.

As a test I tried capturing local video playing in VLC and Quicktime. On these the video continued OK but in Quicktime the sound became choppy and on VLC it kept repeating a short loop of sound.

This led me to believe the problem was caused by a conflict between the audio drivers. Disabling audio capture had no effect, but enabling the Universal Audio Driver did. I ran a quick test and the recording was fine.

The RVC FAQ/Troubleshooting guide mentions that "On some PC's, only the Universal Audio Driver will work", but it doesn't link it as a cure for these symptoms.

Thanks for the great software. I have purchased the complete capture suite and with this problem solved I can now save any audio/video I need.

Default Re: Universal Audio Driver Cures Choppy Recording on New System

Thanks for the feedback. Also, for your reference, the ideal program to capture YouTube with is Replay Media Catcher. Since you have the suite you might want to give that a try.