Thread: Bit rate when ripping from Spotify

Default Bit rate when ripping from Spotify

Hi,
    I have just bought Replay Music and think it is great, easy to use once you have got your file naming sorted out so that it fits with your player [ MediaMonkey]
    I do have a query though and wondered if any one is sufficiently clued up to give a simple answer.
    I am recording in Wav format as I want to play the tracks on a high end Hi Fi system and don't want to use lossy compression like MP3. I compress the Wav files losslessly to Flac using MediaMonkey.
    I am recording from Spotify and my finished Wav files show a bit rate of 1144 and a typical size would be about 50 to 60 MB.
    Then I find out that for free users of Spoyify the Bit rate is 128 bps and for paid users is 320 bps . Indeed if I compress my Wav files to MP3 I end up with a file with a bit rate of 128 from the starting point of 1144,
    So my question is am I wasting space by recording in Wav because the end product will only be equivalent to a 128 MP3 file ? Unfortunately due to renovations I am unable to set up my hi fi or I would simply compare the Flac file and the MP3 file by ear.
    Regards Alex

Default Re: Bit rate when ripping from Spotify

You're right, your wasting space; Spotify is streaming lossy ogg audio files.
    Ripping them to wav is useless; you can't get uncompressed sound quality from a compressed lossy tune.
    What i do is always setting RM at a slightly higher bitrate that the original file in order to avoid quality loss from the transcoding process;
    For exemple if i rip a 128kb webradio i set RM to 160 or 192kb.
    Doing this most of the time i can't tell the difference between the original and the copy.
    If you want to be sure what kind of bitrate is sent to you; you can use this software : "NetLimiter 2", there's a freeware version that monitors your net traffic.
    Bye.

While you can definitely notice the difference with files ripped from CD to 128 kbps MP3 and lossless FLAC files, I do think it is a waste of space to record 128kbps files into FLAC.

IMHO only recording 320 kbps MP3s into FLAC can be justified.

Hi.
    Thanks for that. I will copy to MP3 and save the space.
    Regards Alex