Thread: So many hoops when recording m4a files from Pandora and converting them to mp3s

Default So many hoops when recording m4a files from Pandora and converting them to mp3s

When recording Pandora it only will record in m4a and then I must run it through a converter to mp3 and then I end up with two versions of a song so I must eliminate the m4a version in My Recordings. Why have they made it so hard and time consuming to use?

Default Re: So many hoops when recording m4a files from Pandora and converting them to mp3s

Media Catcher captures the stream - Pandora does not stream MP3, so if you want it in this format you will need to convert it.

Default Re: So many hoops when recording m4a files from Pandora and converting them to mp3s

yes. definitely what Tasha said. RMC captures the stream in its format. it turns out that pandora uses m4a as their format. if you want it on MP3 then you've got to convert it on your own.

You can also record from your sound card with Replay Music.

p.s. I vote for automatical conversion in RMC

Don't convert them! It's AAC+ files, their quality is the same as mp3 128kb.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrenn View Post
    Don't convert them! It's AAC+ files, their quality is the same as mp3 128kb.
    Many portable devices don't support m4a files.

Quote Originally Posted by stream-recorder.com View Post
    Many portable devices don't support m4a files.
    Which is why there is an option to convert these files. We will never add an automatic conversion for these files, many people prefer m4a. If you want MP3, you can convert the files, or you can get a super cheap yearly subscription to Pandora. Then they stream high quality mp3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha Heinlein View Post
    We will never add an automatic conversion for these files, many people prefer m4a.
    Sorry for the confusion. I prefer m4a files as well. By automatic conversion I meant optional automatic conversion (for example, similar to the one that Replay AV has)

Tasha is right, for some dollars you'll get a year subscription to "Pandora One".
    You'll get 192kb Mp3 files and won't have to worry about the convertion.

But i must say that i'm impressed by the .m4a format; i've made blindtests with 64kb AAC+ tracks and i'd say the quality equals 160kb Mp3s.

Bye.