Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freecorder Toolbar not working with Windows Vista

Default freecorder records intermitantly with windows vista home premium

sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it is a good idea to turn of one of the main security features of vista just to get a recorder to work. Plus I think the main problem is that a lot of pcs these days seem to come with sound integrated and not a separate sound card.

In this case I try using the record using the freecorder driver but that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, which is not good when trying to record a live stream. Confidence that it will record is not high.....

Any chance of creating a freecorder that just works in vista? I.e. you click record and it records without having fiddle about with this setting and that setting and still not knowing if it will work or not?

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it is a good idea to turn of one of the main security features of vista just to get a recorder to work. Plus I think the main problem is that a lot of pcs these days seem to come with sound integrated and not a separate sound card.

In this case I try using the record using the freecorder driver but that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, which is not good when trying to record a live stream. Confidence that it will record is not high.....

Any chance of creating a freecorder that just works in vista? I.e. you click record and it records without having fiddle about with this setting and that setting and still not knowing if it will work or not?
    If you are uncomfortable turning off UAC, then you can use Firefox. With this browser it isn't necessary to turn off UAC. We are working on an updated version of Freecorder, but more than likely you will still need to turn off UAC when using IE.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

I use the Toolbar 3.0 and it works with XP as well as With Vista, but only if I am logged in as an administrator. As a normal user the click on any of the toolbar icons just opens the Applian homepage ?! is this effect known ?
    I also experience that the toolbar will never record anything when started after beginning of the music. I must click on record (as long as no sound is on), then click stop, start the music application and click on record again. As far as I know this is aknown effect, but maybe its a hint for those that cannot record with the toolbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pispot Gargrafarr View Post
    I use the Toolbar 3.0 and it works with XP as well as With Vista, but only if I am logged in as an administrator. As a normal user the click on any of the toolbar icons just opens the Applian homepage ?! is this effect known ?
    I also experience that the toolbar will never record anything when started after beginning of the music. I must click on record (as long as no sound is on), then click stop, start the music application and click on record again. As far as I know this is aknown effect, but maybe its a hint for those that cannot record with the toolbar.
    You are correct, you need to be logged in as administrator. In most cases it works best to click record BEFORE starting what you want to record. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lenney View Post
    Hey everybody, it's VERY important for VISTA users to disable the UAC In vista. If you have not yet done so, please do so now:

Open Control Panel
    Go to User Accounts
    Click on Turn User Account Control on or off
    Click continue to verify.
    De-Select the Use User Account Control (UAC)...
    Click OK
    Re-start your computer

Other than that, please let us know if you have any further issues. It's getting hard to track multiple issues on the same thread, hence my posting that. :-)

Thanks for your understanding,
    I have to disagree with turning UAC off, if anything that should be a last ditch effort if all else fails.
    I have gotten Freecorder to run fine with UAC on on multiple machines running Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate x64.
    Turning UAC off can be detrimental to other programs, especially if you've been running Vista with UAC on for a while.
    UAC will cause some programs to use the VirtualStore and turning it off can render those programs useless. It will also virtualize certain registry entries as well.
    Also it plays a big role in the security of Vista.
    The only time I would turn UAC off is right after a fresh install of Vista using the Vista Installation DVD, this does not mean the recovery disc's, that many vendors provide.

The way I get it to work:

As mentioned before, and in the FAQ's
    Sound Drivers- make sure you have the latest.
    DEP- Turn On for essential Windows programs and services only.

Install as Administrator- Right click on installation file and click on Run as administrator. I always make sure my browser(s) are closed as well, before installing.

After installation is finished, go to Computer> local drive, usually C:> Program Files folder and look for these two folders:
    Freecoder
    Freecoder Toolbar

You'll do this to both folders:
    Right click on the folder, click on Properties, click on Security tab, You should see a group listed in the top box Group or user names: called Users(computername\Users), high lite it and click on the Edit button.
    You should see a similar window open, high lite Users(computername\Users again and in the box below Permission for Users, put a check in the check box next to Full Control under the Allow column, click apply and OK out.

Now this has worked for me 100% of the time, I hope it helps others too.
    Last edited by mrZoSo; 09-23-2008 at 07:11 PM.

We are no longer recommending that users disable User Account Control. We appreciate your feedback and the info you have provided!!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

Default Freecorder works on VISTA!!! WHAHOOO!!!

Dude, thanks for the advice....excellent recordings, no loss in quality, I am well impressed.......mind you took half an hour of my life but was well worth it....I was referred via link from audacity....combining both products....will highly recommend to other "MUSO" friends. Peace and Love from Ireland...music heals all wounds.......

Default UPGRADED FREECORDER AND NOW TOOLBAR WON'T WORK

Freecorder Toolbar 3.0 was working fine until I UPGRADED! Freecorder , itself is working fine but I get the Vista " freecorder has stopped working" crap. I have followed Tasha Heinlein's hints and some others still not working.

I UPGRADED ($19.95) for better quality sound (from 64kbps 128kpbs). I get this in Freerecorder. Now if I can just get the Toolbar functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by etcurrie View Post
    Freecorder Toolbar 3.0 was working fine until I UPGRADED! Freecorder , itself is working fine but I get the Vista " freecorder has stopped working" crap. I have followed Tasha Heinlein's hints and some others still not working.

I UPGRADED ($19.95) for better quality sound (from 64kbps 128kpbs). I get this in Freerecorder. Now if I can just get the Toolbar functioning.
    There is no option to "upgrade" the toolbar. Are you using the desktop version of Freecorder? This is a entirely different program, which - I know - it's hard to guess since they have the same name. Any advice I gave to you was with the information that you were using the toolbar.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

Default Freecorder VISTA Fix!

Ok, so I had this problem where when i hit record the error message "Data Execution" Prevention stopped this program." It's annoying, but can be overridden.
    Go to your Start menu and look for Computer and second click it and go to properties. or go to Control panel and go to system

The system window comes up go to advanced system settings get through the UAC and the system properties box comes up

click "settings" under "performance" go to "Data Execution Prevention"

click "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select"
    the list-box clears up.

go to Add. If you did not change the file path you should paste

"C:\Program Files\Freecorder Toolbar\Freecorder.exe"

into the file name box (w/o quotes) and then click "Open" on the list it should say "Freecorder Application and it should be checked.

Click Apply and then restart your computer and it should work fine.