Thread: WARNING: Freecorder toolbar stops PC boot-up!

Default WARNING: Freecorder toolbar stops PC boot-up!

Hi,

Over the past 2 weeks I have had to re-install Windows XP (and 200+ updates) twice after installing and using the Freecorder Toolbar

When I restarted my PC after a shutdown I kept getting a black screen with the following error displayed:

Error: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

I'm no techie but I'm pretty sure the above error appears when a Registry Entry or Boot.ini file has been deleted.

To test whether Freecorder was to blame for the above error I decided to install it again after doing my "24 hour" Windows XP re-installation and guess what......IT DID HAPPEN AGAIN

I have now re-installed my Window XP for the second time and have been using it "error free" due to NOT re-installing the Freecorder Toolbar. The above test clearly shows that there is serious fault within the Freecorder Toolbar that needs to be sorted sharpish! As I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 on my PC perhaps it may be a compatibilty problem with that Whatever it is I hope the Freecorder team get it sorted soon.

PS..

It's a good job I backup all my files to CD on a regular basis, otherwise I could have lost everything due to the Freecorder Toolbar. Other users may NOT be so lucky!

Were you using the Freecorder Toolbar, or the Ask & Record Toolbar?

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha Heinlein View Post
    Were you using the Freecorder Toolbar, or the Ask & Record Toolbar?
    I think it may have been the Ask & Record Toolbar as it showed the Ask logo in my browser. I thought that was the only version of the Freecorder Toolbar available though?

Freecorder and Ask & Record are both available for download. The folks at Ask are looking into this and we hope to have some more info soon. Thank you for your patience!

Quote Originally Posted by windymiller View Post
    Hi,

Error: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    I see it looks like you are using the Ask and Record Toolbar and running XP but thought that it was worth letting others know that I have the Freecorder toolbar installed on my PC running Vista Home Basic without issue and checked to see if I had the hal.dll file referred to above and it is there and would not appear corrupted.

All good here - very handy app, especially for some Vista users like myself that are otherwise unable to record sounds from streaming audio etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha Heinlein View Post
    Freecorder and Ask & Record are both available for download. The folks at Ask are looking into this and we hope to have some more info soon. Thank you for your patience!

Its been over a week now, have the folks at Ask found the problem yet? I hope Ask test Freecorder with Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 as I'm sure it may be a compatibility fault with that!