Thread: Youtube HD: Need to download HD video from YouTube if available

Default Youtube HD: Need to download HD video from YouTube if available

I recently purchased the Replay Capture Suite and am very impressed with everything I use. I have no troubles downloading from Youtube but I'd like to download the videos in the HD option that's available.

The problem is I don't think it can be done. I start up RMC click to start recording, then go to the vid and it starts downloading automatically. I then hit the HD button but nothing comes up in the RMC window. If I refresh the page it returns to the original SD version.

Is there a way to get around this problem.

There is a trick to getting the HD versions. When you start the video and it appears in the Media Catcher list, you need to pause the video, rewind it to the beginning, delete the low-res file that is in the Media Catcher list, then click HD. If we were to fix this so that it automatically picked up the HD stream, we would end up with the double download problem again, so it is necessary to take these extra steps.

Hello Tasha, thank you for your quick reply to my question. I've tried it and it works perfectly. I presume that the same method would work on other websites that offer HD? Anyway, your team has made a very cool application which I know I'd get great enjoyment out of.

Hi Tahsa,

I followed your instructions. It did take a few tries/variations to get it to work, but I eventually got it to work. Are there plans to automate this in the future?

Also, I captured a youtube video in HD, which saved as a ".MP4" format. The video quality is very good, but doesn't seem to match the HD quality of the original feed.

This is the video I saved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v3d6SFcDys

Thanks!

This is what Youtube calls HD ! The low res videos are crappy low bitrate Flv files and the "HD" are Mp4 videos with a slighty higher bitrate.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyq View Post
    I recently purchased the Replay Capture Suite and am very impressed with everything I use. I have no troubles downloading from Youtube but I'd like to download the videos in the HD option that's available.

The problem is I don't think it can be done. I start up RMC click to start recording, then go to the vid and it starts downloading automatically. I then hit the HD button but nothing comes up in the RMC window. If I refresh the page it returns to the original SD version.

Is there a way to get around this problem.
    You mean HQ? YouTube is also in High Quality.
    What is HD?

Maury

HD is High-Definition. HQ is High Quality. HD is much better and the newest one. which plays videos at 1280p resolution (i don't know if that's the exact). you can check it out at youtube's HD categories.

I have check for HD and i can tell is impressive. I ever look for high quality video but i never knew that YT has also HD capabilities. This resolution is terrific sharp and big. Thanx for that.

maurizio