Thread: RMC doesn't record YouTube HD videos

Post RMC doesn't record YouTube HD videos

And I think I know why...

Hi Applian team,

I LOVE Replay Media Catcher!!!

I'm afraid Replay Media Catcher 3.02 no longer records YouTube clips in HD (not to be confused with HQ [High Quality]) and it's, I think, because of the fix released in v3.02 "where YouTube videos won’t download twice" (per the release notes on applian.com).

This is what I used to do to record HD clips on YouTube: I would go to a page with an HD clip on it and would click on the HD button to view the clip and RMC (the version before 3.02) would re-record the same clip but this time in an .mp4 HD version.

Can y'all please look into this?

Thanks,

sfan

I was able to capture the HD videos on YouTube. Is there a specific video that you are having trouble with?

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Thumbs up It works for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha Heinlein View Post
    I was able to capture the HD videos on YouTube. Is there a specific video that you are having trouble with?

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.
    It works for me too but it does capture the same mp4 file 2-3 times,
    just giving you the heads up.

Hi Tasha and Mathew,

Thanks to both of you for the reply and confirmation.

Tasha: No. No video in particular. I was watching an HD clip on YouTube and wanted to record it to make a small sound clip from it but when I refreshed the page, to record the clip, RMC only recorded the default .flv file and not the .mp4 HD version when I clicked on the HD button.

As an example, I was able before to record both the default .flv version of this clip as well as the the .mp4 version when I clicked on HD but now RMC only recorded the .flv version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgIxJ_l-q4

Mathew: Can you please tell me what you did? As I said before, RMC would record the default .flv video and when I'd click no HD, RMC would re-record the .mp4 version but now it doesn't.

Thanks again.

sfan

Edited to add-

I rebooted my machine to see if whatever was happening was fixed (usually when RMC slows down IE, a simple reboot fixes it) and was able to record some HD YouTube clips (just randon HD clips to see if the reboot fixed it) but not other HD clips.
    Last edited by sfan; 03-23-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sfan View Post
    Hi Tasha and Mathew,

Thanks to both of you for the reply and confirmation.

Tasha: No. No video in particular. I was watching an HD clip on YouTube and wanted to record it to make a small sound clip from it but when I refreshed the page, to record the clip, RMC only recorded the default .flv file and not the .mp4 HD version when I clicked on the HD button.

As an example, I was able before to record both the default .flv version of this clip as well as the the .mp4 version when I clicked on HD but now RMC only recorded the .flv version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgIxJ_l-q4

Mathew: Can you please tell me what you did? As I said before, RMC would record the default .flv video and when I'd click no HD, RMC would re-record the .mp4 version but now it doesn't.

Thanks again.

sfan

Edited to add-

I rebooted my machine to see if whatever was happening was fixed (usually when RMC slows down IE, a simple reboot fixes it) and was able to record some HD YouTube clips (just randon HD clips to see if the reboot fixed it) but not other HD clips.
    I did not do anything special to be honest...

Not sure why it does not work for ya...

but here is a link to get the video you are trying to reacquire....

Getting Autographs with Jason Varitek opening day of Boston Red Sox spring training camp 2009

Best regards.

Last edited by MatthewC1000; 03-24-2009 at 07:08 AM.

I was unable to record the HD video at that URL despite numerous attempts. Appending &feature=hd to the URL delivered the HD MP4 file on the next try. So that would be
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgIxJ_l-q4&feature=hd
    you could try.

There used to be a list of magic, secret parameters to append to a YouTube URL that would specifiy the format or resolution of the file served up. Not sure if such a list still exists, or if the lists are still accurate or applicable. Worth searching for if exists.

I was able to get this one. Didn't change anything to do it. I always have my minimum file size set lower than the default. You can try changing that to see if it helps. Click Tools>>Settings highlight Capture HTTP Streams and change the minimum file ssize to about 200. I imagine that is the only setting that may differ from what you have...

Smile

Hi guys,

Matthew: I'm afraid the link you provided is a site I can't access. When I click on the link, I got a "HTTP 403 Forbidden" error message.

I wonder what's going on that I can't record some HD YouTube clips? I hope it fixes itself soon!

Thank you for your help.

flvrec0r3r: Your link worked! Hurrah I know if the URL tricks to load HQ clips but I don't know the list. However, you can go to your Account on YouTube and click on Playback Setup and then check the option "I have a fast connection. Always play higher-quality videos when it's available" and YouTube will load the HQ version of the clip automatically without having to click on the HQ button. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with HD clip, for those clips you have to manually click on the button.

Thanks again guys!!!

sfan

Thumbs up

Hi guys,

Matthew: I'm afraid the link you provided is a site I can't access. When I click on the link, I got a "HTTP 403 Forbidden" error message.

I wonder what's going on that I can't record some HD YouTube clips? I hope it fixes itself soon!

Thank you for your help.

flvrec0r3r: Your link worked! Hurrah I know if the URL tricks to load HQ clips but I don't know the list. However, you can go to your Account on YouTube and click on Playback Setup and then check the option "I have a fast connection. Always play higher-quality videos when it's available" and YouTube will load the HQ version of the clip automatically without having to click on the HQ button. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with HD clip, for those clips you have to manually click on the button.

Thanks again guys!!!

sfan
    It should work now..!

it was in maintenance mode yesterday so, the links changes...hope that helps.

Kind Regards

Matthew: Thanks! The link worked and I was able to download the clip Much appreciated.

Tasha: Sorry. I didn't see your post when during my last reply. You must have been posting while I was replying

Yes. I have the default settings but will give your suggestion a try. The strange thing is that before I was able to record HD YouTube clips w/out changing any of the default settings (aside from user options).

Thanks again guys!