Thread: Diferences between Replay Video Capture and Replay Media Catcher

Default Diferences between Replay Video Capture and Replay Media Catcher

Hello. I bought two days ago the Replay Capture Suite, so, I am starting here and knowing how to use the programs.
    Fisrt I tried to capture videos from hard sources using the " Replay Media Catcher ". Today I realized that there is another similar program in the package, the "Replay Video Capture". What are the diferences between them? I mean, if I understood it, some captures I use one program, and for others ones - the other program?
    Since now, I appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by codonauta View Post
    Hello. I bought two days ago the Replay Capture Suite, so, I am starting here and knowing how to use the programs.
    Fisrt I tried to capture videos from hard sources using the " Replay Media Catcher ". Today I realized that there is another similar program in the package, the "Replay Video Capture". What are the diferences between them? I mean, if I understood it, some captures I use one program, and for others ones - the other program?
    well, there is a difference between RMC & RVC now, RVC will work on
    ANY site who streams videos. Now, if RVC has to be more remove bugs
    in the app because, the software works fine on 256 MB Video Cards
    and, if its a 128 Mb video card the RVC app will malfunction by basically freezes
    it self. Creating a Status windows saying 0.01 KB has been recorded to HDD
    and, it has already elapsed 10 minutes so, the software is so frozen
    Taskmanager can't even kill it. Your PC will not shut down.
    so, unplugging it is the resort to solve the issue. Now, RVC only has mpeg & wmv file choices which are not popular formats. AVI (Divx/Xvid) are
    compatible everywhere. iPod uses mp4 or, amv formats (which is not in the RC software ) but, a pause feature to avoid commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by codonauta View Post
    Try Media Catcher first - Media Catcher is a stream capture program. It can sometimes capture faster than real time, and stream capture usually results in better quality. Replay Video Capture is a screen recorder - The big bonus to this is that you can record anything!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

There are a few great answers here, but i'd like to add how I personally explain it:

The way Replay Media Catcher works is it does not record what is actually playing on your screen, in fact if you want to think of it this way, it does not \"Record\" at all. What it is really doing is capturing URL\'s from these streams and then downloading the video using the URL.

Now, granted, there is not ONE program out there that can record everything. This is the same with Replay Media Catcher as well, so we created Replay Video Capture which works pretty much oppositely of Replay Media Catcher. It records what's on your screen, online...offline, whatever you choose to record.

Together, using these two programs together you can record pretty much anything on your computer, or just actions from your computer desktop (such as dvd movies in windows media player, etc).

I hope this helps. :-)
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Yes, I' ve got now the differences and the utilities of the 2 softwares. I am realizing now that it was a very good idea to have bought the complete package of softwares, not just the Replay Video Catcher.
    But I have one question yet. The first tries to record with the Replay Video Capture, the recordings got amputated at the lateral sides. I mean, it was not recorded all the screen, but a part of it. Can I solve that changing the program configuration or it is not possible to record the entire screen? Or depends of something else?
    Last edited by codonauta; 12-30-2008 at 07:29 AM.

For Replay Video Capture open up the settings. You will see a location for recording the entire screen. Select that and you should be up and running.

Yes, I've got it. But if I choose " full screen" in the settings, if I want to record a video with the Replay video capture, the video becomes slow, and the recording results not good, because it brakes. Choosing the just the size of the video in the browser, the video runs well, and the recording gets good too.
    Is this slowness in " full screen' for videos expected? or can I solve that problem?
    I have a very good PC. pentium 4 - 3,4 gigahertz - 2 giga RAM, and good conexion too: cable, 6 MB speed. So, problems in the PC and conexion are not the problem, I think.

Each system is a little different. Ideally you are able to record a smaller screen. Recording using screen capture is very power intensive and in some cases it might cause some slowing.

To get the best quality video with Replay Video Capture try the following:

Go to Settings, and make sure you are using the MPEG-2 video format. Also, you may want to click on "Recommended Settings" at the top and select the most fitting option according to your pc configuration.