Thread: Cam4 Audio-Video Sync Issues - any plans to fix?

Default Cam4 Audio-Video Sync Issues - any plans to fix?

I'm wondering if Applian is planning any fixes/work-arounds for the video/audio sync issues plaguing Cam4 downloads in the last few months. These issues have been posted about by me (and others) on other forums, but I realized I should probably post about it here in case Applian can offer some help.

Here's what I use:
    CAPTURE: Replay Media Catcher 5
    PLAYBACK: VLC Media Player, RealPlayer, Media Player Classic, WMP, Daum Potplayer

Brief summary of issue:
    When capturing Cam4 streams that have audio, playback is a total mess. If you playback a downloaded FLV on VLC Media Player it plays fine, but as of a few months ago, the audio track will not play. This is apparently due to Cam4 changing to a Speex codec for the audio, something that VLC Media Player doesn't support. No problem, though, because several other players do support this codec, right? WRONG. If you try to play a CAM4 Video download with audio on a player that can play speex audio (Real Player, Media Player Classic, Daum Potplayer etc.) you CAN hear the audio, but the video gets completely screwed up. It randomly starts speeding up and then slowing down -- a sort of stuttering effect -- throughout the playback. The audio keeps playing at its normal speed so after a minute or so the audio and video are completely out of sync. A poster on another forum wrote this:
    “cam4 fucked up something on their part so that capturing the stream (no matter how u do it... rtdump or rmc) is impossible without that stupid "speedup" if u play it in a player that can decode speex.. if u play it with one that can't then the video will be fine but audioless but with audio it will be jumpy and ff'ing randomly and often. it all started when they implemented their "HD" option and changed/fucked something with their video encoding (the speex/audio was there before and worked fine and in sync + speedup free)”

So, Applian (or Applian users) - any possible solution??

Default Re: Cam4 Audio-Video Sync Issues - any plans to fix?

Quote Originally Posted by HorseTears View Post
    I'm wondering if Applian is planning any fixes/work-arounds for the video/audio sync issues plaguing Cam4 downloads in the last few months. These issues have been posted about by me (and others) on other forums, but I realized I should probably post about it here in case Applian can offer some help.

Here's what I use:
    CAPTURE: Replay Media Catcher 5
    PLAYBACK: VLC Media Player, RealPlayer, Media Player Classic, WMP, Daum Potplayer

Brief summary of issue:
    When capturing Cam4 streams that have audio, playback is a total mess. If you playback a downloaded FLV on VLC Media Player it plays fine, but as of a few months ago, the audio track will not play. This is apparently due to Cam4 changing to a Speex codec for the audio, something that VLC Media Player doesn't support. No problem, though, because several other players do support this codec, right? WRONG. If you try to play a CAM4 Video download with audio on a player that can play speex audio (Real Player, Media Player Classic, Daum Potplayer etc.) you CAN hear the audio, but the video gets completely screwed up. It randomly starts speeding up and then slowing down -- a sort of stuttering effect -- throughout the playback. The audio keeps playing at its normal speed so after a minute or so the audio and video are completely out of sync. A poster on another forum wrote this:

So, Applian (or Applian users) - any possible solution??
    In all honesty, I'm NOT sure myself and I don't talk to the RMC Team every day (different buildings).

Can you submit a ticket at www.applian.com/support.php with that question - they'll be able to get you an answer probably before i can!
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Default Re: Cam4 Audio-Video Sync Issues - any plans to fix?

Hi HorseTears,

Have you submitted a ticket to Applian's staff in the end regarding this issue? Would be great to hear back from you if you had a reply from them, specially if they've managed to fix this cause this is exactly what I'm experiencing myself. Couldn't explain it any better than you did!

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers