Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: benefit of Replay Radio 9 over Replay AV 8? And "subscription" based now?

Default benefit of Replay Radio 9 over Replay AV 8? And "subscription" based now?

I've been using Replay AV 8 (or it's predecessors) for MANY years.
    Today when I started it, I got a notice about an update called Replay Radio 9.
    Not sure that it has all the same functionality, but there is a Replay Capture Suite I guess that is closer in function to Replay AV 8.
    Replay Radio 9 looks to be a part of that.
    OK so far, but checking further shows that only the Replay Radio 9 piece looks to be "subscription based" now?
    So, uhm ..., what's going on?

mlloyd1

Default Re: benefit of Replay Radio 9 over Replay AV 8? And "subscription" based now?

This program is the replacement program for AV as it became obsolete with all the changes in technology and in streams. We are using the subscription base to insure that you always have the latest and greatest version of the program. This allows us to update it more frequently for you as streams change. Give it a try and see how you like it.

Default Re: benefit of Replay Radio 9 over Replay AV 8? And "subscription" based now?

ok. so "subscription-based" in this case does not mean that 1 year after purchase, the software will stop working or uninstall itself or other such craziness, correct?

thanks,
    mlloyd1

Angry Re: benefit of Replay Radio 9 over Replay AV 8? And "subscription" based now?

I'd used AV8 to record radio programs for many years.
    It did not become obsolete as Applian says. No software need become obsolete.
    Applian simply stopped supporting it with updates to the software so they could sell a subscription version "Replay Radio 9" to soak previous customers of their product.
    I'm going with another product which is a little more difficult to use but has continuously been supported for many years, Total Recorder.
    Sorry to see Applian take the low road.

AV did become obsolete. There have been many changes in technology since it came out and it will no longer capture videos as an example. Also, capturing an audio stream has changed due to technology and newer versions of windows and flash. It became cost prohibitive to continue with AV so we stopped selling the program two years ago. With Replay Radio you will always have the latest and greatest and with the subscription method we are able to offer frequent updates to take into consideration all the changes in technology that are occurring. We feel that our pricing is reasonable and that it allows you to continue to record your favorite talk shows, music, news, podcasts, etc. If you need further assistance with this then you would need to contact customer service for more details and information.

The delayed upgrade to Replay AV with the poor excuses plus making Replay Radio subscription based made it the final straw. So I looked for alternatives. As my main interest is in recording BBC programs, I found some free software (get_iplayer) that achieves perfect downloading of BBC radio and TV but I believe is only available for people based in the UK.

Phil

FWIW it was a long wait, and there are some changes I'd like to see in RR9. However I'm glad the new program is finally out and it looks very promising, and therefore don't have a problem with the subscription cost.

Thank you. Do let us know your suggestions. We are sending them to the developer for future updates so you never know.

I'm not so thrilled with the pricing model myself however as another long, long time user, I have to say that due to the changes that Cheryl alludes to RAV8 no longer recorded certain shows that I used to be able to record (eg, I could not do a quick record of c-span's archived stuff) but RAV9 does so I'm happy. Also, for whatever reason, I used to have to run RAV8 under an admin account and I don't have to do that with RAV9 (I use Win 7).

Buh-bye.