Thread: Questions about audio quality

Default Questions about audio quality

Greetings all.
    I am a hifi buff who recently started using replay music. I was wondering what format is best to maintain the highest quality output. Ie is it better to create wav files and then convert those to flac or other lossless codec ? Or am I wasting my time making wav's if I am just going to listen to them in mp3 320 format. Is there any quality gained going to wav and then flac ?. Or should I just record in the mp3 format. Is there any danger in mp3 'ing files on your PC which were already mp3 at the source ? Thanks for the help
    harris

Default Re: Questions about audio quality

Each person has a different opinion on this and I find that is more a matter of personal choice. Personally I prefer MP3 but I'm sure others will jump in with different opinions.

Is there any danger in mp3 'ing files on your PC which were already mp3 at the source ?
    I don't think si. I think, the script will just go ahead and ignore it since it's already in mp3 format.

Thank you for the insights and answers. In that same train of thought, could an upgraded external dac
    Improve that audio quality that is being stored

Cheryl -
    I kind of disagree with you. I've heard good MP3 recordings, but when you compare it with a good lossless recording most\many prefer the better quality.

Is the only way to get FLAC by converting to WAV first and then re-encoding with a different program?

Thanks in advance!

We are actually working on an upgrade that does offer FLAC. Not sure when it is going to be released but hopefully prior to the holidays. Thanks. At the present time you would need to do what you wish.

Thanks for the reply - the Suite is great, getting the best audio quality possible will make it greater!