PDA

View Full Version : Force RMC to record AFTER video has fully played through?

walnut
06-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm having a problem getting a full video clip bar the first 15 seconds or so, when RMC gives up. I don't have a very fast connection but don't usually have too many problems at YouTube etc. This one's on a Russian site and maybe it's either very busy or the connection's rather flaky, but I've tried at several different times of day.

The clip takes an age to even to start playing, then there are really long pauses and stutters all the way through while it buffers. Once it's eventually staggered through to the end, then (like YT and other places if it's ever necessary) I can click Replay and it will play straight through from start to finish without a hitch -- but in this case RMC has given up on it long before then.

I've noticed this many times before: not the same situation, but for instance if RMC is open but not set to record when a page first loads, and I switch it to record mode a few seconds AFTER opening the page and the clip itself has begun loading, it doesn't recognise there's anything there to record. So many times I've been in that situation -- at YT or anywhere else -- but the only way to get RMC to pick it up and recognise there's anything there is to make sure it's set to record BEFORE opening the page (or reloading the page also works).

There doesn't seem to be any way (having once loaded a page/clip) to force RMC to record whatever's there... some command which effectively tells it, "OK, I know started you a few seconds late, but please now record what's on here anyway"! Or am I missing something?

It seems to be the only solution to get hold of this particular clip -- let it play all the way through to the end, then click Replay and it will play smoothly with no breaks. But if RMC can't be told to record it at that later point, it's never going to work as far as I can see.

If I reload the page of course the clip starts from scratch with all the same buffering problems again, and although RMC starts recording again too, it gives up at almost the same point each time.

That's the other thing -- having once stopped recording, it doesn't seem able to re-start itself and carry on recording once the clip starts playing again after a long pause. It just stays at the point where it stopped recording, then eventually fixes the file and saves as far as it got. I imagine in this case it could be because the buffering pauses are so long that RMC thinks there's nothing else there.

So, is there a way to get RMC to "record on demand" a clip on any given open page at a later point than when the page/clip is first opened?

juanlfm
06-25-2012, 07:08 AM
I think you might wish to contact support with a URL of the site so they can test it. Alternatively you can post the URL here and someone may try also.

walnut
06-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Sure... sorry, yes I should have included it.
The clip's here (cat video!) at what I guess could be the Russian equivalent of YT: http://rutube.ru/tracks/4273811.html
Thanks.

juanlfm
06-25-2012, 11:34 AM
That worked. I recorded what looked like the Tin Man no problem.
Sometimes YT doesn´t start up for me, so try this:
Open RMC and start recording
Navigate to the page and if recording does not start, refresh the browser page and see if it then starts.

walnut
06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Tin Man??

Sorry no, it's a 3m24s clip at RuTube about a cat :) with a Russian commentary dubbed over the original.

Jeff Lenney
06-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Tin Man??

Sorry no, it's a 3m24s clip at RuTube about a cat :) with a Russian commentary dubbed over the original.

In Soviet Russia, Cats are METAL!!