PDA

View Full Version : How Replay Media Catcher Ruined My Day

ReallyAnnoyed
06-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Hello,

I am ReallyAnnoyed, and this is how replay media catcher ruined my day.

I recently went about reformatting and reinstalling windows/all my programs from a backup drive.
I install programs to a custom folder, named C:\Programs.

Replay media catcher was one of the last things I needed to re-install.
Accidentally, I pressed "Enter" after typing in C:\Programs\
This was before I could add a folder named "Replay Media Catcher"

So...with no confirmation the installer installed everything there.
I said to myself "damn, welp better uninstall and reinstall"

Unbeknownst to me, the uninstaller was made by a...complete...freaking...moron.
Instead of deleting all the replay media catcher files - the uninstaller DELETED EVERYTHING in C:\Programs

Hours of re-installing all my programs gone. Now I can't even uninstall some programs to reinstall them.

Wow...I can't....
Wow.

Jeff Lenney
06-15-2012, 01:44 AM
HI ReallyAnnoyed,

I'm sorry to hear you had this experience. Unfortunately, The installer will always clean out all files in its installation folder. That's what an uninstaller does....

Scubasa1
06-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Pays to do a Windows backup frequently. An uninstaller will delete like it is programmed to like all installers.
You said Accidentally, I pressed "Enter" after typing in C:\Programs\
This was before I could add a folder named "Replay Media Catcher
It was your accident not the uninstaller programmer mate.

duan
06-15-2012, 05:01 PM
I agree with ReallyAnnoyed.

A proper installer/uninstaller will only uninstall the files it has installed. Even if the user is not supposed to put files in the installation directory (according to the developer), the uninstaller should never, ever delete files it hasn't installed. That's very amateuristic.

People own their computer and can put files wherever they want. They can even install the application in the Windows\System32 directory if they want. That's a very bad idea of course, but when uninstalling, the user gives permission to delete the application and supporting files, not to delete any other files on the hard drive.

Scubasa1
06-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Still pays to do a backup of your system and programme files, even Microsoft recoomend you do this on a regular basis. You buy software and it can still go wrong because not every system combination has been tested. I agree with your comments too, but to save the time should something go wrong, then hey you have your back-up, even companies perform daily back-ups of their Servers etc..

Jeff Lenney
06-16-2012, 01:45 AM
We are going to add a 'confirm' button very soon to avoid this type of situation in the future - however MOST uninstallers work in this fashion and un-install ALL files from the folder they're installed in.

Liliana Mercado
06-18-2012, 12:36 AM
OMG man for real? :eek:

An uninstaller has the power to wipe out my computer??? As if we didn't have enough problems with this program as it is!

I should be able to install something wherever the heck I want, if I want to install the entire suite in one directory I should be able to do that. Uninstaller should delete only the files that it needs to delete nothing else!

The fact that other idiots program them wrong, does not mean it is right! It just so happens that APPLIAN is THE ONE that sold a product to a user who erased his system due to their uninstaller. Whether everyone programs this way, it's beside the point.