PDA

View Full Version : Replay AV changes sound card driver?

riredale
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Cheryl, my avocation is shooting documentaries and then producing hour-long DVDs. In the past I have shot the video while capturing 4-channel surround sound, which I then edit using Vegas, a powerful non-linear video editing program.

I've recently discovered that Vegas can no longer access the rear audio channels for playback if Replay AV8 is running. Does Replay AV8 swap out the standard sound card driver for a different one? Is there some way of telling Replay AV8 to use the generic sound card driver so my other programs behave normally?

Thanks, and looking forward to the new product. I use Replay AV8 daily to record several talk radio shows.

keiooz
05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
I was thinking of asking the same thing a few days ago, then I thought that I hope it is possible. Just dreamt of it before and I was hoping it's real. http://imagicon.info/cat/14-16/vbsmile.png

Cheryl Wester
05-11-2012, 07:57 PM
It does not change your default sound driver but if you are using audio capture it is using your audio and you can't use the audio for something else. If you are using stream capture it is capturing from the native stream.

riredale
05-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Cheryl, thanks for the reply. I've done a bit more investigation.

First, I use Replay A/V to do scheduled recording of about a half-dozen radio shows in the course of a week. All are stream capture.

In the past Replay A/V would play nicely with my other apps. In particular it had no negative effect on my video editor (Vegas). But when beginning a new surround-sound project recently I noticed that I was no longer able to control my rear speakers from the Vegas app. This is a serious issue for those projects involving surround-sound.

After reading your response I went back and loaded an entirely different application in that used the rear speakers also--WinDVD. I played a DVD that took advantage of the rear speakers, and, sure enough, if Replay A/V was running (not recording, not playing, simply running in the background) then the two rear channels were dead.

I further discovered that if I kill Replay A/V and start Vegas or WinDVD then I can access the rear speakers, but if Replay A/V is started first then it kills the rear channels. I also note that if I start the other apps first and THEN Replay A/V then everything is fine; I get the surround channels AND Replay A/V works normally. But if Replay A/V is started first then I kiss the rear channels goodbye.

I don't know how much effort you will want to put into this since the product is being replaced but wanted to call it to your attention so that the programmers were aware of it and could prevent a similar situation with the follow-on product.

Cheryl Wester
05-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Thank you for the feedback. The developers do read this.