PDA

View Full Version : How to work with FLV captures with variable dimensions/bitrates

micha3l
04-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I've captured some video that contains 3 different stream qualities, all in a single flv file.

When the file starts, it is 768x432.
After about 20 seconds, it jumps to 960x540.
After another minute or so, it jumps to 1280x720, which it remains in for the rest of the (1 hour) video.

I'd like to convert the last stream to mp4, but the conversion gets distorted at the point where the video changes dimensions the first time, and the resulting mp4 file is just garbled static after the first 20 seconds.

I thought that "Fix FLV" might help me to either cut out the first two streams, so that I could just encode the third, but opening the flv video causes an error message to be displayed at the end of processing: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" which sounds like it might be C#'s null pointer dereference message or something?

Anyway, I'm wondering if my flv video is salvagable, either via tools provided by applian, or using ffmpeg directly?

My attempt to use ffmpeg to seek to the point in the flv file that contains the stream I want were unsuccessful, as ffmpeg still thinks the video is a 768x432 video -and I'm not sure how to force it to think otherwise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff Lenney
04-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Can you please provide me with the URL of the audio or video you're trying to record, so I can trouble shoot the issue?

micha3l
04-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Hi Jeff.

Thanks. Its a League Pass game downloaded from NBA.com. The video itself is obviously protected behind a username and password, but I'd be happy to hear about any potential general solutions for adaptive bitrate streaming if you know of any. For instance I'd love a way to tell RMC to count a change in a stream's dimensions as a new stream, and save it separately.

I could also provide an example flash video that showcases this, if that's useful?