PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled backup of Schedule 8

oldiesfan
02-16-2012, 10:54 PM
For the second time in three months I have opened Replay AV to an empty schedule. The Schedule8.dat file is present but it is empty. It takes quite a while to rebuild the Schedule, starting with an old one from a year ago and then working from the most recently recorded files. I made a copy for backup. But I'd like to automate it so that it autmatically backs up each week. I wish this feature was built in to the program. But since it is not does anyone know how to automate a backup? I tried using Windows Backup and can successfully do so manually. But when I try to schedule it I get an error message that says "0x8007007a: The data area passed to a system call is too small."

I'd really like to automate this so it's there and current the next time I need to use it. Any ideas?

Cheryl Wester
02-18-2012, 09:51 PM
We do not have a way to update this. Please do just make a copy of it as then you are able to put it back in the event this does happen. I am sorry it has happened to you and it is not the norm. In more than 5 years I have not had this happen even one time.

oldiesfan
02-22-2012, 12:36 AM
This is actually the third time it has happened. I've been using Replay AV for 4 years. I run it continously every weekend beginning at 5AM Saturday and continuing through Monday morning at 3AM. Sometimes I have 7-8 programs recording simultaneously. All works well most of the time, except when stations change their steaming feed.

I suspect the reason for the empty Schedule 8 may have to do with the fact that I have Replay set to open when I turn on my computer. It usually shows briefly and then is hidden in the system tray. It runs from there without showing on screen unless I click on it. Maybe the Schedule 8 becomes empty when I shut down the computer without closing the program.

Nevertheless, I was looking for a good backup strategy. I am pleased to say that I have found it. I finally got Windows Backup to run it by schedule. I have tested it and it works good. Now I can automatically back it up each week. I'd like to see this added to a future build of the program. It could create a backup file and replace the preceding one when changes are made.

oldiesfan

CharlieSummers
03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I'd really like to automate this so it's there and current the next time I need to use it. Any ideas?

Not to be too simplistic, but setting up a Windows scheduled task to copy the file is pretty trivial. All you need is a simple command line, something like:

cmd copy /Y "C:\path\to\Schedule8.dat" "C:\path\to\]target\Schedule8.dat"

The path will change depending on which Windows you're using, but the command should work fine (untested, YMMV, close cover before striking) when you plug in the proper paths. If you've never used the somewhat kludgey Windows version of unix cron, a web search will turn up boatloads of help (that too changes depending on the version of Windows you're running).

Me, I just make a manual backup any time I make a major change, but I don't change things often. Bet'cha I stopped trusting Replay A/V's handling of its database a long time ago, though.

I suspect the reason for the empty Schedule 8 may have to do with the fact that I have Replay set to open when I turn on my computer.

Na, it'll become "emptied" any time Replay A/V terminates unexpectedly with the file hanging open - at that point the file becomes corrupted, so while it isn't "empty" (there's still data in the file), it can't be read by Replay A/V so it gives up and the schedule appears to be empty. The design decision to keep that file hanging open too much without a rollback should be revisited. (*shrug*)