PDA

View Full Version : Unable to open GZ File

brian_brane
01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Replay A/V stopped working last week with error:

Unable to open GZ File: C:\Users\xxx\Music\Recordings\yyy\zzz Jan 24_01.cap

The directory exists and contains plenty of other recordings.
This is a Windows 7 machine.

Any suggestions?

Cheryl Wester
01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
That is a temporary file. When you ahve a temp file you need to change the .cap extension to the one it should have and it should work for you. Also, with Windows 7, you want to make sure you are using the latest version of the program. When you do this it will take advantage of all the changes that have recently occurred in technology.

brian_brane
01-25-2012, 02:54 AM
I understand that the .cap file is a temporary file. The problem is that Replay A/V is unable to create the file and therefore, it doesn't record anything.

It's been working fine on Windows 7 for months, so unless something changed in the last week, I don't think my problem is not having the right version of Replay A/V.

Thanks, Brian

senojev
01-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Brian:

I have exactly the same problem running Windows Vista. I have been recording two streams for over 5 years now with no issues until Sunday. I now get the following from the log for last night's recording:

Tue Jan 24 9:59:54 PM Filename : C:\Users\Dave\Music\Recordings\In Tune By Ten\In Tune By Ten Jan 24.cap
Tue Jan 24 9:59:54 PM URL : http://applian.com/user/redirect_station.php?id=1610&format=WMP
Tue Jan 24 9:59:54 PM Starting Job #8088
Tue Jan 24 9:59:54 PM Status 65429304: Looking up host applian.com...
Tue Jan 24 9:59:59 PM Unable to open GZ File: C:\Users\Dave\Music\Recordings\In Tune By Ten\In Tune By Ten Jan 24.cap

The recording process stops at this point. I agree with you that the version of Replay A/V should not be the issue. Looking forward to a solution.

brian_brane
01-26-2012, 06:13 AM
My problem started on January 20 hours after an automatic Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.119.236.0). Unfortunately, disabling the Windows Defender service does not fix the problem. I disabled my AntiVirus software, but that didn't help. In case it is a file permission issue, I gave EVERYONE full access to this directory. You'd think it would be a firewall or file security issue but I can't find anything in the event logs to confirm that.

frankma
01-28-2012, 05:51 PM
This problem started for me about 10 days ago. There are a couple of other threads on here with people having the same problem. I am 99.9% sure the problem is on Applian's side. I've used this program for years and never change the settings. All of a sudden this started and obviously I am not alone. I've tried everything I can think of to resolve it. I deleted all my stations and reentered them, same problem. I even manually inserted a url of a streaming station, so the url was *definitely* correct. Same problem. My log states the same thing as above. Unable to open GZ file. What is going on here?

senojev
01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Tried using the direct url for the station provided by Applian Tech and, lo and behold, it recorded. I tried using my old url and it failed to record with the gz file message but I could stream the station and hear the broadcast. Tried again with the direct url and it worked fine in both audio streaming and recording. Suggest you try getting the direct url from the station and record the stream. On other threads there are a lot of issues with urls not working due to station changes. I think this is our issue.

Cheryl Wester
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
We have been updating hundreds of links in the last few days. A major link changed and we have been updating as fast as we can. In many cases people are needing to update or upgrade AV to the latest version also due to these changes.

frankma
01-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Hello All,

None of the radio stations / programs I listen to work as of yet.

Can anyone here provide to me an example from the show guide of an updated link that they know to work so that I may see this for myself?

This is getting really frustrating. After using this program for years, basically set it and forget it, it's even more frustrating.

We have been updating hundreds of links in the last few days. A major link changed and we have been updating as fast as we can. In many cases people are needing to update or upgrade AV to the latest version also due to these changes.

Cheryl Wester
01-31-2012, 07:46 PM
If you have a station that doesn't work please contact tech support with the call letters, your info, your version of AV, etc.

GDepolo
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
If you have a station that doesn't work please contact tech support with the call letters, your info, your version of AV, etc.

KQED San Francisco
WNYC New York

Cheryl Wester
02-06-2012, 08:01 PM
If you have links that don't work please let us know in tech support and not here. The two links you just listed do work and I'm recording from them now.

frankma
02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
If you have links that don't work please let us know in tech support and not here. The two links you just listed do work and I'm recording from them now.

That may be Cheryl. But they don't work FOR HIM, and for many others and none of us made any changes to our program settings. It's really quite odd how this happened.

I am a little paranoid by nature, and part of me thinks this is some crazy attempt to get everyone to upgrade to the latest version of the program...

And oh....wouldn't you know that none of the old registration codes work with the latest version and we'd all have to pay to get a new code.

Fancy that.

Cheryl Wester
02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Actually, you can't pay for the newer version as we stopped selling it on February 1. You are using older technology (older version of program) with newer technology (new stream). In the majority of cases people are able to update to the latest version if they are using 8.5 or above and the same code will work. If people do have an issue then they need to contact us in tech support with details and a log file.