PDA

View Full Version : Problem converting video with 2 audio tracks

Ed_N
06-22-2011, 06:03 PM
I just used RVC to record a webex coaching session. I then used Replay Converter to convert the 1 Gb mpeg file to a much smaller avi file, but the problem is when I play the new avi file, the other person's voice comes in very softly, while my voice comes in loud and clear. At first I thought the other audio stream was lost because I could barely hear him. I don't know what caused this.

There was no problem with the original mpeg recording of the session. I could hear the other person's voice very clearly.

Cheryl Wester
06-23-2011, 06:31 AM
A suggestion is to install a codec pack such as k-lite and see if that makes a difference. Also, see what happens when you convert it to a different format or adjust the bitrate and make it higher.

Ed_N
06-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I installed the K-lite codec pack and that didn't help. Converting to wmv format didn't help either, same problem. I'm happy that at least the original mpeg file came out ok.

stream-recorder.com
06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Can you upload a small part of the video to take a look?

Ed_N
06-23-2011, 12:50 PM
I just uploaded it to google, it said there was an error, try again later, video is not yet processed:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9plG0Ly7whHOTU2NTg1NmYtYjMyYS00NWVmLWIyN zEtNDZmMWM3ZjFhZDI5&hl=en_US&authkey=CNrJ5vAJ

update: the video is working now

stream-recorder.com
06-24-2011, 01:32 PM
I've downloaded a WMV file from Google. Did you record into WMV or MPEG?

I wanted to extract the audio track and take a look onto it in Audacity, but it doesn't support WMA audio.

Can you upload the MPEG file onto Mediafire or any similar service?

Ed_N
06-24-2011, 01:44 PM
The original recording was a MPEG file, but there was no problem with the streams in that file, the volume came out okay for both. I only got problems after I used Replay Converter to convert it to a WMV file.

I just compressed the original file using winrar and uploaded it. Gmail rejected the original file because it was too large in uncompressed form. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9plG0Ly7whHNGRhM2M2N2UtNTQyOC00MGI2LTlkZ DItMmU2YTdiMjc5ZDcz&hl=en_US&authkey=CLKwjZoO

stream-recorder.com
06-24-2011, 08:43 PM
The MPEG file has 2 audio tracks. Having 2 audio tracks is great, because you can normalize levels and make other manipulations individually. But I'm afraid I don't have an easy solution for converting such files.

It is possible to extract 2 audio tracks using say freeware StaxRip. Then 2 audio tracks can imported to Audacity, and then exported as one audio track.
now. Then you can use this track in Replay Converter when converting.

Will ask the developer of Replay Converter for an easier solution.

Ed_N
06-25-2011, 03:41 AM
The MPEG file has 2 audio tracks. Having 2 audio tracks is great, because you can normalize levels and make other manipulations individually. But I'm afraid I don't have an easy solution for converting such files.

It is possible to extract 2 audio tracks using say freeware StaxRip. Then 2 audio tracks can imported to Audacity, and then exported as one audio track.
now. Then you can use this track in Replay Converter when converting.

Will ask the developer of Replay Converter for an easier solution.

When I was trying to split a smaller piece off the larger file, I used Virtualdubmod at one point. The thing is, it only let me load one audio stream when I was going to open the file. I actually opened the audio stream that I couldn't hear. I didn't know what to do with it and then I thought about compressing it to upload which is what I did.

Thanks for the tip about Staxrip. I will check it out. If I can't convert it, that's okay because I still do have quite a bit of free hard drive space.

stream-recorder.com
06-25-2011, 05:38 AM
When I was trying to split a smaller piece off the larger file, I used Virtualdubmod at one point. The thing is, it only let me load one audio stream when I was going to open the file. I actually opened the audio stream that I couldn't hear. I didn't know what to do with it and then I thought about compressing it to upload which is what I did.
I tried VirtualDubMod as well. And it offered me to choose an audio track upon opening your MPEG file. But if you extract one track, you can add it as a second one when converting with VirtualDubMod. The problem is that many players will allow to play one track at a time only.

Thanks for the tip about Staxrip. I will check it out.
When you open a file, Staxrip demuxes all audio and video tracks from it, so it might be useful here. And you can even convert your video with it. The video can have 2 audio tracks.

But I would import both audio tracks into freeware Audacity and then export them. This allows to merge 2 audio tracks into one track. Then you can use Staxrip for converting video.

If I can't convert it, that's okay because I still do have quite a bit of free hard drive space.
It is possible to convert. It is just not very easy, since most converter just leave one audio track when converting.

Ed_N
06-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Okay, I just wanted to try a simpler solution first. I used the troubleshoot function of Replay Converter to try to fix the audio issue, but it didn't work, so on to your Audacity suggestion. I am going to let tech support know about this issue.

stream-recorder.com
06-25-2011, 10:52 AM
The easiest and fastest solution will probably be to re-record your video from screen with Replay Video Capture. You may use Windows Media or say h.264 if your computer is powerful enough.

Ed_N
06-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I've used WMV format before to capture things before and I ended up getting no sound for some reason, only static. I can't take that chance that with these coaching sessions as they are live. I could always get them to record the webex for me, but it uses this strange .arf format and I want the file saved on my hard drive, not just some link to the archived recordings which they use for group webinars. Besides, I paid for the applian software.

stream-recorder.com
06-26-2011, 12:59 AM
I've used WMV format before to capture things before and I ended up getting no sound for some reason, only static. I can't take that chance that with these coaching sessions as they are live.
No need to risk. Just re-record your MPEG-2 video into WMV, h.264 .MP4/.MKV,....

I could always get them to record the webex for me, but it uses this strange .arf format and I want the file saved on my hard drive, not just some link to the archived recordings which they use for group webinars. Besides, I paid for the applian software.
Converting a Cisco WebEx ARF and WRF recording format to AVI, MP4, MKV, WMV, FLV,...

Ed_N
06-26-2011, 04:53 AM
I got that Staxrip program you told me about, the only thing is I need this one special driver (NGced or something) and I'm waiting for the license from the developer.

I will try the mpeg -> wmv recording you suggested and see what happens. I didn't think of that!

Ed_N
06-26-2011, 07:37 AM
No need to risk. Just re-record your MPEG-2 video into WMV, h.264 .MP4/.MKV,....

Converting a Cisco WebEx ARF and WRF recording format to AVI, MP4, MKV, WMV, FLV,...

I just played back and captured the MPEG and recorded to a WMV file, both audio streams come in fine! Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!

stream-recorder.com
06-26-2011, 10:48 AM
I got that Staxrip program you told me about, the only thing is I need this one special driver (NGced or something) and I'm waiting for the license from the developer.
hmmm... don't remember about anything like that. The program worked for me right away. It downloaded and installed all the software that was missing.

stream-recorder.com
06-26-2011, 10:49 AM
I just played back and captured the MPEG and recorded to a WMV file, both audio streams come in fine!
Actually I missed that too. Thanks to the developer of Replay Video Capture for this great tip.