PDA

View Full Version : Best possible setting for watching on a DVD

sethm1
05-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Have grabbed a video using the Catcher,
So for watching on a DVD is the Mpeg 2 DVD (NTSC- USA) 2000 - theeee best option for quality?

stream-recorder.com
05-25-2011, 07:12 AM
The best option for quality is to use a network media player instead of your DVD. Some such players support FLV and MP4 files, so you don't need to convert them.

The higher the bitrate, the better the quality. The best option depends on your preferences... it's always a good idea to take a short video and convert it using different settings, then choose the settings that you like taking into account the quality and size.

sethm1
05-25-2011, 01:48 PM
And what if I am only to copy to a DVD disk and then play on my DVR?

I do also have a media player - so that would be converted to (which) best possible MP4 setting? As the device does not allow for flv files.

But concerned more on the DVD - so that both my wife & I can watch videos.

stream-recorder.com
05-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Many FLV videos use MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. I would try to convert such files losslessly using
MPEG-4 Lossless Extraction or MKV Lossless Extraction of Replay Media Catcher.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9656/mpeg4losslesraction.png

This allows to get MP4 and MKV files without any quality loss.

As for DVD conversion, try the highest bitrate. Use a rewritable disc for testing.

sethm1
05-25-2011, 09:20 PM
I do not see any Lossless option in the drop down menu ("Add more Formats").

Jeff Lenney
05-25-2011, 11:26 PM
I do not see any Lossless option in the drop down menu ("Add more Formats").

What version of RMC are you currently using?

sethm1
05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
what ever the newest is - just updated a week ago.

sethm1
05-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Media Catcher is v4.2.10

Media Converter is 4.10

- should I download / install the Video Catcher? or is that redundant as I have the "Media" Catcher ?

thx

stream-recorder.com
05-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Media Catcher is v4.2.10

Reset your conversion settings to get use all the conversion presets from your version:

Go to Tools -> Conversion Settings and hit the Defaults button

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8331/rmcresetconversionsetti.png

sethm1
05-28-2011, 10:45 AM
oops - I was thinking and looking for the lossess in the Replay Converter.

So for grabbing/recording a video off the net - use the Replay Media Catcher, Replay Video Catcher or Freecorder?

Which will give me the best results?

But for conversion - use the Replay Converter?

ALSO - used the Converter (even though the catcher saved as a flv) to convert to Mpeg 2 (dvd- high ) when I copied that file to a disc (dvd-r) and then inserted into my DVD player - I could not play it.
Any ideas on that?

Thx

stream-recorder.com
05-31-2011, 06:33 AM
So for grabbing/recording a video off the net - use the Replay Media Catcher, Replay Video Catcher or Freecorder?

Which will give me the best results?
Replay Media Catcher can download/capture more videos than Freerecorder. And RMC has much more features than Freecorder.
But both RMC and Freecorder get perfect digital copies of the videos. Besides recording without any quality loss, both programs allows to record many streams faster than in real time.

Replay Video Capture has its own advantages. It can record from screen, so it allows to record protected videos as well as streaming videos using protocols and formats not supported by Replay Media Catcher.

Usually it is a good idea to record with RMC. If it doesn't work, use Replay Video Capture.

But for conversion - use the Replay Converter?
IMHO, Replay Media Catcher is good for converting automatically. Although Replay Converter has lots of nice features, I use convert with both programs. Hope other will share their experience as well.

Cela
10-26-2011, 11:21 AM
...ALSO - used the Converter (even though the catcher saved as a flv) to convert to Mpeg 2 (dvd- high ) when I copied that file to a disc (dvd-r) and then inserted into my DVD player - I could not play it.
Any ideas on that?What you got is a DVD standard complient mpeg2 file. Not yet a DVD. These files can be played with most software players on the computer, but not all standalone DVD players will play them.
According to the strict DVD standards these files must be "[B]]DVD authorized[/B" first. This can be a complicated process. I often use VideoReDo which is fairly simple to use (for a simple, non-expert user, as I am). The authorizing step will transform the mpeg2 file into .IFO and .VOB (Video OBject) files in a VIDEO_TS folder. You would finally burn the VIDEO_TS folder on to a DVD using an appropriate burning program. ImgBurn is my choice. A DVD disc produced by this workflow normally plays on any standalone DVD player, BD player, PS3, PocornHour (PCH), etc.

Cheers!

Disclaimer:
I am new to RMC4, do not know Replay Converter. So, I do not know if Replay Concerter will or will not do the DVD authorizing step for you.
I may have overlooked something in your postings which may make my posting redundant or obsolete. If so, simply neglect it. I do not intend to offend your expertise. I simply want to share my limited knowledge.

DADEO
11-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Did you pick the right dvd-high? PAL or NTSC, depends where you are. NTSC - USA