PDA

View Full Version : Replay Music and Spotty both crashing XP repeatedly (Avast free antivirus)

profRoy
02-26-2011, 01:15 PM
I have just rebuilt an XP Pro box from scratch (aBit mb, Intel 6600, 4 Gb ram). Since installing Spotify and Replay Music I have been getting repeatable system hanging whenever I launch either application. Completely frozen until reboot.

I managed to eliminate this once by manually deleting both sets of application files and removing all the relevant registry entries for both programs. Running the un-installer for either application also hangs the computer. On reinstalling them the applications run fine - until I reboot, whereon the same thing happens - either application (including the uninstaller) brings the entire computer down.

I have repeated this set of tests numerous times and quite honestly I'm totally baffled.
Any help appreciated.
Roy

Cheryl Wester
02-26-2011, 02:20 PM
I can't help you with Spotify and you would need to contact them. For our program make sure you are running the program under an administrative account. Always select to Start Recording first and then go to what you want to capture.

profRoy
02-27-2011, 10:47 AM
In both cases this is being caused by Avast (free) AV program. Temporarily disabling the "real-time shields" allows the applications to launch successfully. The AV software can then be reactivated. An ugly work-around. Avast have been notified.

Cheryl Wester
02-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Great-thanks for letting us know. Have a good week.