PDA

View Full Version : Random system freeze traced to the "helper driver"

Scree
01-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I have a major issue with Replay Media Catcher 4 (RMC4) on Windows 7 x64. This issue occurs with 4.0.19 (and a couple previous versions since I bought it). I have traced the cause of a random system freeze to having RMC4 installed (not even in use at the times), so I believe there is some issue with the "helper" kernel driver it installs. I have run Windows long enough in my testing to come to this conclusion, in fact on two seperate occassions (I uninstalled 4.0.17 and did without RMC4 for a few weeks and no system freeze occurred; I installed 4.0.19 and a system freeze occurred after a couple of days).

The problem may be related to how much net usage goes on, for example when torrenting for a while, or just the system having been up a few days and doing a lot of web surfing every day. Maybe it's a nasty driver resource leak or something? (And as a note, putting on Windows 7 SP1 RC did not help avoid this issue.)

I am reluctant to try 4.0.1.1 as I can't have my system freezing, of course. I hate to give up the great RMC4 because it is quite useful!