PDA

View Full Version : Target format

glz1fivs
12-18-2010, 06:37 PM
How may I ascertain what format to convert to in order to make a dvd or blu ray disc that can be played in a normal dvd or blu ray player?

Jeff Lenney
12-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi - simple, make sure you check the file types your dvd player will play -and convert to one of those file types. :-) Generally mpeg-2 should do it for you - just check your dvd player FIRST.

glz1fivs
12-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks.

There are several MPEG 2 formats listed in Replay Converter. How would I know which to go for? Is there a paper somewhere somewhere on the net to explain what the different fomats relate to in terms of the various types of equipment available?

I had referred to a blu ray player user manual, but to my surprise found nothing clear enough in the manual of my dvd player to indicate what format to use. Perhaps the terms used in the manual were synonymous with names given for formats in replay converter, but I cannot find anything on the net that explains the nomenclature.

Also, I am wondering whether replay converter would enable me to convert to and from whatever are the standard formats for blu ray disks - I have not been able to find out what they are.

stream-recorder.com
12-19-2010, 02:32 PM
If your DVD player supports DVD-Video only, then just create a DVD-Video disc using Replay Converter:
Tick "Burn to CD/DVD"
and
choose "Burn to DVD-NTSC (USA)" or "Burn to DVD-Pal".

AFAIK Replay Converter can't burn Blu-Ray discs. If your Blu-Ray player supports AVI (xvid,...), MP4 (h.264, xvid,...) or some other files, then you can convert your files with Replay Converter.
Blu-Ray discs are usually use AACS protection, you can't convert content from such discs using Replay Converter.