PDA

View Full Version : Downloads from lynda.com are not allowed

stcen
12-18-2010, 04:55 AM
Can I just advise you that while your software really does work well you need to advise users that it it not allowed on some sites.

I bought your software because you said that you could download from lynda.com. However, I used it to download lots of exercises from lynda.com to take with me while on vacation but it has been cancelled after just 2 days as lynda.com track all download usage. I didn't realise that you are only allowed to watch streaming video and not download it.

Seems a bit unfair to me when people have genuine access problems to their material but can understand their reasons as some people out there have other intentions. Looks like I'll have to pay another subscription with lynda and just watch their video where there is internet access.

Best Regards,
Rob.

stream-recorder.com
12-18-2010, 10:58 AM
If you capture videos by Replay Media Catcher instead of downloading them or if you record them from screen with Replay Video Capture, you shouldn't have a problem like that. Just don't capture/record too many videos, your behavior should be similar to a regular user.

And make sure to read the ToS before recording, especially when you use a paid service.

stcen
12-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Thankyou for the advice.

Looks like I bought the wrong product then and should have gone for video capture.

Does that mean I've got to spend another £25 (I only bought it 2 days ago) or can I transfer my subscription across from Replay Media Catcher?

stream-recorder.com
12-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Replay Media Catcher has 2 modes of recording flash videos: Downloading and Recording. When RMC downloads, it creates a separate thread (so you have 2 threads: one for playing, another one for downloading your video stream). When RMC records flash videos, it just captures packets from your local flash player; that's is why you need to leave your flash player playing the video and can't close it, if you want to record fully.

AFAIK lynda uses HTTP flash video streams (flv or mp4). The only thing you need to do to capture HTTP flash video streams instead of recording is go to Tools -> Settings -> HTTP Download Tweaks and add the domain and format that is used by lynda to the Secure sites list.

So you don't need to buy Replay Video Capture for your task, since recording from screen is more difficult, besides you will lose some quality.

But you do have a 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee and you can use it anytime. I don't think you will have any problem exchanging your RMC license onto RVC license, but make sure you really need this.

stcen
12-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Thank you very much. I'll give it a try.

stream-recorder.com
12-19-2010, 01:22 PM
You can try with free videos first.

hhidude
08-26-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm having the same problem I am very hard of hearing and need the CC, I need more help with the statement "The only thing you need to do to capture HTTP flash video streams instead of recording is go to Tools -> Settings -> HTTP Download Tweaks and add the domain and format that is used by lynda to the Secure sites list." Can you give me more details?
Thanks Ron

Jeff Lenney
08-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Hhidude,

It's fairly self explanatory :-)

Within Replay Media Catcher, go to Tools -> Settings -> HTTP Download Tweaks and add the domain and format that is used by lynda to the Secure sites list.

Would you mind telling me which part of that you're having trouble with?

Thanks!

hhidude
08-29-2011, 07:28 AM
I am sorry - but I'm not sure what the domain would look like. Maybe - http://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-Elements-tutorials/essential-training/69086-2C.html OR http://www.lynda.com/home/Player.aspx?lpk4=77101. Does the format have dot in front?
Thanks Ron

hhidude
09-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Jeff
How about an answer last question Thanks

Jeff Lenney
09-02-2011, 12:16 AM
I am sorry - but I'm not sure what the domain would look like. Maybe - http://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-Elements-tutorials/essential-training/69086-2C.html OR http://www.lynda.com/home/Player.aspx?lpk4=77101. Does the format have dot in front?
Thanks Ron

Hi Ron

Here's how they should look:
website.com

What you can also do is Just set up lynda.com to be recorded instead of download in the HTTP Tweaks section.

I hope this helps :)