PDA

View Full Version : www.hkjc.com: Problem downloading Windows Media ASF steam

Chaz
12-07-2010, 08:04 PM
When I tried out the demo version on RMC4, it seemed to be perfect for the project I needed it for.
Its task was to record a streaming .asf file and convert it to MPEG 4.
I bought and installed an activation code and it hasn't worked since!!

Sometimes, upon completing the download the status message says 'Complete with errors....' and the saved file length is 0 bytes.

Sometimes it records the entire stream, but only the audio - video is blank.

Can anybody help? It is driving me crazy!!

Jeff Lenney
12-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi Chaz

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues. Specifically, Can you please provide me with the URL of the audio or video you're trying to record, so I can trouble shoot the issue?

Thank you VERY much for your patience, I understand this must be frustrating so I truly do appreciate that.

Chaz
12-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Hello Jeff,
thanks for the reply.
Try this URL:

http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/results.asp?racedate=01/12/2010&raceno=6&venue=HV

Click on 'Broadband'.

Cheers
Chaz

stream-recorder.com
12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Try this URL:

http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/results.asp?racedate=01/12/2010&raceno=6&venue=HV

Click on 'Broadband'.
As soon as I closed the online player, RMC 4 started downloading. I have downloaded the full video without any problem.

Sometimes it records the entire stream, but only the audio - video is blank.
The downloaded video has 2 video tracks. I tried to play it with WMP and had blank screen by default. Then I tried to play it with freeware VLC player and the video was shown properly.

You can leave one video tracks if you like, see the following post to learn how to do it:
https://forum.applian.com/showthread.php?5844-kwsu.org-Trouble-downloading-WMV-from-a-Multimedia-Messaging-Service-(MMS-)-site&p=20303#post20303

Chaz
12-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Hmmmm....
I've downloaded and installed VLC. Sure enough, it does play the captured videos, but the quality is so poor as to be unusable!
I don't understand why, when I was trialling it for a couple of days, it worked seamlessly. I had it set to convert the format to MPEG4, which I was then viewing with Quicktime. This was the perfect format, because there is a need to step forwards and backwards on a frame by frame basis.
However, it now will simply not do this. It will only save the file name with no content.
Apart from registering the application, nothing else has changed.
We are accessing the net via satellite broadband and our download speed is 3.69 Mbps.

stream-recorder.com
12-09-2010, 12:10 AM
If you don't like how VLC show Windows Media files, try to switch video tracks in your WMP. Or just remove a second video tracks as mentioned above.

If you care about the quality, I don't think it is a good idea to convert your video. Just try to find a program that allows to step forwards and backwards on a frame by frame basis. For example, try freeware AviDemux.