PDA

View Full Version : How can I record audio normally, but keep my speakers quiet?

PhilP
11-01-2010, 01:36 AM
I want to leave Replay recording when I go to bed (using the Windows Task Scheduler to shut down). Is there a way of allowing it to record the audio at normal levels, but keep the speaker volume low or even off completely?

My PC has built-in speakers otherwise I could just unplug them!

Thanks

Phil

Cheryl Wester
11-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I have not been asked this before and just tested it on my machine to verify. I started it recording at the volume I like and then set it to mute. It did still record the audio. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

stream-recorder.com
11-04-2010, 01:46 AM
I have not been asked this before and just tested it on my machine to verify. I started it recording at the volume I like and then set it to mute. It did still record the audio. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
This is really interesting. And if you can't record sound when it is muted, you can plug in earphones. Or you can plug in external speakers and power them off.

marvinb
12-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I had same problem (BTW - it picks up ambient noise in the room, as well - conversations, phone ringing, etc.) I bought a straight cord with plugs on both ends - from the "out" port on my laptop right into the "in" port. I use a splitter and headphones if I want to listen while I record. PIA, though!

Marvin