PDA

View Full Version : File naming works bad after the update

rsdrsd
10-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Before I had never problems with the file naming, after the last update, it uses a different filename to save the file to. I think it has to do something with a redirect after the movie finishes or something like that. Can someone confirm this? So I mean, is something changed in the filenaming?

Jeff Lenney
10-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Hi There

Would you mind explaining in more detail the issue you're having? Can you give an example please?

Thanks! :)

rsdrsd
10-27-2010, 11:42 PM
If I try to download from certain sites ..... it starts with the correct filename, but as soon as the download finishes, it renames the file to ads.flv, Copy of ads.flv etc...

rsdrsd
10-29-2010, 02:21 AM
After the stream finishes it plays an ad... and it gives the video the name of this ad. I think it's a redirect or something like that... maybe it's better to just use the filename based on the website.

buggaboo
11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I can confirm this bad behavior. Example: Lynda.com movies downloaded used to carry a numeric filename which referred to the content, plus a cryptic name with chapter number. Now, all movies for a particular Lynda.com training series are named alike. The only difference being that we get a "Copy (5) of xxxxxxxxx.mov" which really isn't a copy, it is a different movie altogether. This just makes it extremely annoying to have to rename them all to a name reflecting their actual content. HELP!

Jeff Lenney
11-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Hey THere

I believe it names with what the browser is seeing at the moment. I need to verify this with our main RMC person however, I"ll get back to you and let you know. :)the future

buggaboo
11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
The critical factor is that this was working fine one or two point versions ago. Do you archive point versions of your s/w? I don't want to go back to v3, only to 4.01 or 4.10. Meanwhile you can investigate and fix this issue.

jimmyd
11-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Sounds like a similar problem identified in the topic: Msn Videos multiple parts download? Not only does 4.0.14.0 fragment the capture but I have observed many instances of incorrect, mostly numeric, names assigned to the result. It seems 4.0.14.0 was a dirty, untested release, as evidenced by it's failure to produce a clean result. Two or three video captures by the support staff should have quickly identified these problems prior to release. It only took one video capture to highlight the problems after I upgraded from 4.0.12.0 to 4.0.14.0.

rsdrsd
11-05-2010, 07:15 AM
I hope this is fixed soon! The version before didn't have that problem!

Jeff Lenney
11-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Seems like an on-going issue, l'll check with a few of my colleagues to see if we have any resolution - or one in the works :)

Jeff Lenney
11-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey there - for anybody having this particular issue, please submit a ticket to tech support so we can look deeper into the issue with each of you

Thanks for your understanding :)

buggaboo
11-08-2010, 11:41 PM
How does one do that???

Come on, all these reports of the problem won't stir Applian to fix this unless we enter it into some database? :(

rsdrsd
11-09-2010, 03:24 AM
If a movie finishes and it redirects to an ad to play, it takes the naming of the ad. That's pretty annoying. Before this wasn't the case. Maybe an option in the settings panel, of what kind of naming it should use.

Because now when i start downloading.. if first uses the filename, than it uses a naming based on the website and then of the redirect.

randym77
11-14-2010, 08:55 PM
I have also noticed this problem.

Before the last update, the video files I downloaded would keep the names they had on their server. Which was actually pretty useful, since they were very descriptive, and unique.

Now, they are automatically re-named, usually with the name of the web page they were downloaded from. This is really annoying, because the name of the webpage is often not at all descriptive. I'll end up with 10 video files, all named "Copy of multimedia search results" or something equally useless.

And if you have a queue of videos you're watching and recording, the videos change, but the web page title doesn't. So you end up with all the videos having the same file name (only with a number added - Copy 1, Copy 2, etc.).

If there's a way to turn off the automatic re-naming, please let me know. I would really like to keep the original file names.

rsdrsd
11-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Still no solution?

Shellie Heggenberger
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
At this time there is no settings in Replay Media Catcher 4 to fix the naming issue.
We are taking note of feature requests and will be adding in many of those features in future free updates. The issue is that all sites stream in different formats and manners. A lot of the time the stream Replay Media Catcher records comes from a completely different site to that hosting the video!

In any case we use a variety of techniques to try and detect the best name possible for a downloaded/recorded stream - the majority of the time Replay Media Catcher gets it pretty spot on.

In the cases Replay Media Catcher doesn't you can rename streams directly from within Replay Media Catcher. Select the stream and then the Download > Rename menu or use the Rename menu item on the right mouse click context menu.

singram67
12-05-2010, 10:58 AM
What a pain.. There has to be some way to turn off this renaming crap. I just save a Lynda.com course to use offline and just noticed that it has renamed everything to the course name.. 30 chapters with many having up to 10 video lessons each all named the same. When the video starts, the files are named in a way that I can tell which chapter/lesson the file is assigned to. Automatically renaming downloads REALLY needs to be an option that we can toggle depending on the site and not a forced default.

Jeff Lenney
12-05-2010, 04:32 PM
What a pain.. There has to be some way to turn off this renaming crap. I just save a Lynda.com course to use offline and just noticed that it has renamed everything to the course name.. 30 chapters with many having up to 10 video lessons each all named the same. When the video starts, the files are named in a way that I can tell which chapter/lesson the file is assigned to. Automatically renaming downloads REALLY needs to be an option that we can toggle depending on the site and not a forced default.

As shellie pointed out, unfortunately there is no way to disable this - yet.

Thanks for your understanding

jimapp
12-19-2010, 06:36 AM
I have the same problem with file renaming. Which wasn't always true I have a number of video files where the name of the file remained the same.

The problem is the name of the file that is being captured shows up in the Name Column in Replay Media Catcher window. At the same time in the status column the status shows downloading with a percent.

Then after the file status changes to 100%, The status changes to Performing extended title search, then in the Name column the name will be changed to Untitled Page.

Why has this processed changed? What is the solution to not have the file name be converted to a generic name?

bmodrow
02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I have the same problem with file renaming. Which wasn't always true I have a number of video files where the name of the file remained the same.

The problem is the name of the file that is being captured shows up in the Name Column in Replay Media Catcher window. At the same time in the status column the status shows downloading with a percent.

Then after the file status changes to 100%, The status changes to Performing extended title search, then in the Name column the name will be changed to Untitled Page.

Why has this processed changed? What is the solution to not have the file name be converted to a generic name?

I have been experiencing this as well. I also subscribe to lynda.com and this behavior is nothing short of a pain in the rear.

Will there be an option in a future update to disable automatic renaming of files? That is all that is needed.

Turf_Tycoon
02-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Add me to the list of customers having similar issues with file renaming.

In the past I have always been happy with how Applian have responded to (and fixed) bugs. In this case it might help appease users if they would actually admit that they have introduced a bug in this version rather than tell us that this "feature" cannot be disabled. :)

I download videos of Horse Racing from a number of sites around the world. Most of them used to automatically save with meaningful names like "2611_20101226ELRR06_V" (a string which contains the date, venue and race number). Now all I get is "Sky Racing Media Centre" and then "Copy of Sky Racing Media Centre" when I can see the real name during playback on the site.

Surely any source control system would allow the developers to revert the file naming code back to the previously working version ...

stream-recorder.com
02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Good news! RMC 4.1.6 has many naming options:

Rules are applied in the order listed. Once one returns text, that text is used for the file name and other rules are not applied.

Naming rules applied at the start of a download:

Enable YouTube Naming - uses a special algorithm to name downloads from youtube.

Enable Playlist Naming - uses title information from the playlist that some sites send to the player for the file name.

Enable Referer Naming - uses the page title of the referer url for the file name

Enable HTTP Title Naming - uses the page title of the detected url for the file name

Enable URL Parameter Naming - uses common parameters in the url as the file name.

Enable URL Path Naming - uses the file name part of the url path as the file name.

Naming rules applied once the download is complete:

Enable Meta Data/Tags Naming - uses tags within the downloaded file as the file name. Uses the Music Tagging/File Naming rule to create the file name.

Automatically Identify and Tag Music - uses an audio fingerprint of the downloaded file to check against and cloud based services for tag information. Uses the Music Tagging Naming rule to create the file name from the tags returned.

Enable Extended HTTP Title Naming - uses the hostname of the stream url to look back through the last pages visited to get a page title which is then used for the file name. Only happens if the name given when the download started was from the URL Parameter Naming or URL Path Naming rules.

Naming rules after a conversion is complete:

Automatically Identify and Tag Music - uses an audio fingerprint of the converted file to check against and cloud based services for tag information. Uses the Music Tagging Naming rule to create the file name from the tags returned.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3553/rmc4naming.png

demotester
03-29-2011, 04:09 AM
the file naming rules are quite good. (much trial & error required)
maybe we see some further improvements in the field of "renaming files".