PDA

View Full Version : What is Replay Media Catcher / Freecorder FLV Service (FLVSrvc.exe)? Is it spyware / malware / virus?

emacee1701
09-19-2010, 04:48 AM
I am running Win7 with RMC3 and 4, RAV8 and RC4 currently installed.

My list of "start up" programs includes something called "Freecorder FLV Service." It also created a freecorder folder in the Documents section. I do not have Freecorder or Freecorder Toolbar installed. I am posting this question here because this app appears to be the RMC program folder.

What is it? Why is it there? Do I need it and for what? Can I get rid of it (or stop it from loading at start up) without problems?

Thanks

pantaydaya
09-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Hi! Was this !@#$ really necessary!? Im sure your better than that;)

emacee1701
09-20-2010, 05:46 AM
What do you think I meant by "!@#$?" It got your attention. Do you know what Freecorder FLV Service (FLVSrvc.exe) is?

emacee1701
09-28-2010, 11:09 AM
I guess nobody knows what FLVSrvc.exe is or how to get rid of it. I remove it from my start up programs and it keeps coming back. I am starting to think my use of punctuation marks was very justified and applies to all the software companies who force things on us we don't need and haven't asked for (Apple, Macromedia, Real, Adobe, Nvidia among others).

stream-recorder.com
09-28-2010, 10:29 PM
It is very easy to find out what FLVSrvc.exe is by searching.

FLVSrvc.exe is used to save HTTP videos that you are viewing into temp storage. Obviously it is launched on Windows start up so that all your HTTP videos can be saved automatically.

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, but I have never had any problem disabling the service (as well as the ability to save HTTP videos automatically):

Run msconfig.exe
On the "Startup" tab uncheck the FLVSrvc. Hit the Apply button. Hit the OK button.
Reboot your PC.

endyr
09-29-2010, 07:24 PM
It is very easy to find out what FLVSrvc.exe is by searching.

FLVSrvc.exe is used to save HTTP videos that you are viewing into temp storage. Obviously it is launched on Windows start up so that all your HTTP videos can be saved automatically.

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, but I have never had any problem disabling the service (as well as the ability to save HTTP videos automatically):

Run msconfig.exe
On the "Startup" tab uncheck the FLVSrvc. Hit the Apply button. Hit the OK button.
Reboot your PC.

Your fix, does not work. I did exactly as you described above, and it stooped creating ".bin" files for a little while, then RMC3 started to store them again in the FLV service folder. Even though the FLVSrvc.exe remains unchecked in the msconfig, the RMC3 continues to save the videos. I did a search on Google for "FLVSrvc.exe", and there is a lot of controversy surrounding that file on the internet. Many sites consider that file as being a nuisance, or worse, a virus. Other sites say that it interferes with other Window's programs. Still more sites say that the FLVSrvc.exe compromises your computer's security. It also creates errors in the registry. In actuality, I do not need RMC3 to save videos for me automatically. I can do it on my own. I'm old enough not to need a babysitter! I just wish that Applian Technologies will do the right thing and get rid of that file. :mad:

stream-recorder.com
09-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Your fix, does not work. I did exactly as you described above, and it stooped creating ".bin" files for a little while, then RMC3 started to store them again in the FLV service folder. Even though the FLVSrvc.exe remains unchecked in the msconfig, the RMC3 continues to save the videos.
Your question was about Freecorder, not about RMC 3. Anyway the trick should work ... it works just fine for me and you are the first to complain about it not working.

Anyway you can go to the installation folder of RMC 3 (Programs Files\Replay Media Catcher) and rename FLVSrvc.exe or even delete it if you don't want to use it. You will be able to capture HTTP flash video streams with WebStreamDumper of Replay Media Catcher and you will be able to download such streams where possible as well. HTTP flash videos streams won't be captured automatically, but it seems to be exactly what you are looking for.

I did a search on Google for "FLVSrvc.exe", and there is a lot of controversy surrounding that file on the internet. Many sites consider that file as being a nuisance, or worse, a virus. Other sites say that it interferes with other Window's programs. Still more sites say that the FLVSrvc.exe compromises your computer's security. It also creates errors in the registry. In actuality, I do not need RMC3 to save videos for me automatically. I can do it on my own. I'm old enough not to need a babysitter! I just wish that Applian Technologies will do the right thing and get rid of that file. :mad:
Applian doesn't need to get rid of FLVSrvc.exe. This file remains unchanged for a couple of years. All major antiviruses still don't detect ANY risk when using FLVSrvc.exe:
http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=51c56f321de031234a3436590e27457bf43 af54b938a9dd9d6165351d734e84e-1283759284

If you have any real facts (not allegations from computer noobs) that it is a virus or that it compromises your computer's security somehow, please do post about it.

endyr
09-30-2010, 12:04 AM
As usual your advice is questionable. If you delete the FLVSrvc.exe, the RMC3 program recreates it automatically upon start-up. The same goes if you rename it. So, let me say this in plain ENGLISH, your advice is lousy. Log on to this site:
http://www.spydig.com/file-diagnosis/FLVSrvc-exe.html The FLVSrvc.exe file is described there as a "malicious file". For those of you who don't want to go to that URL, here is a a direct quote from that page.

"The FLVSrvc.exe file is a malicious file related to spyware. You can read the following information to learn more about the FLVSrvc.exe file and get detailed approach on how to detect and remove the FLVSrvc.exe file."

"WARNING: FLVSrvc.exe file can be used by hackers to compromise your computer. To prevent your computer's security and privacy from any risk, you are recommended to run a scan immediately on your computer to detect any spyware threats."

There are many other web-sites that say just about the same thing. :mad:

stream-recorder.com
09-30-2010, 01:25 AM
As usual your advice is questionable. If you delete the FLVSrvc.exe, the RMC3 program recreates it automatically upon start-up. The same goes if you rename it.

I don't think FLVSrvc.exe can be re-recreated on start-up. Renamed FLVSrvc.exe onto _FLVSrvc.exe once again, rebooted my Windows 7 and as you can see below it is not re-created:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/336/flvsrvcexerenamed.jpg

I did that many times when using RMC 3.11 in Linux, since Wine emulator was not good enough to handle FLVSrvc.exe (while RMC 3.11 works fine in Linux with Wine).

So, let me say this in plain ENGLISH, your advice is lousy. Log on to this site:
http://www.spydig.com/file-diagnosis/FLVSrvc-exe.html The FLVSrvc.exe file is described there as a "malicious file". For those of you who don't want to go to that URL, here is a a direct quote from that page.

"The FLVSrvc.exe file is a malicious file related to spyware. You can read the following information to learn more about the FLVSrvc.exe file and get detailed approach on how to detect and remove the FLVSrvc.exe file."

"WARNING: FLVSrvc.exe file can be used by hackers to compromise your computer. To prevent your computer's security and privacy from any risk, you are recommended to run a scan immediately on your computer to detect any spyware threats."

There are many other web-sites that say just about the same thing. :mad:
I asked you to post about real facts that FLVSrvc.exe is spyware, malware, virus or whatever.... I've already showed you that top 43 antiviruses do NOT detect anything risky in FLVSrvc.exe .

It you use some low quality anti-spyware / anti-malware instead of using security software from trusted top vendors , this doesn't make Applian or any other software malacious. Small "anti-spyware / anti-malware" vendors try all kind of dirty tricks to make you buy software from them. And even some viruses pretend to be antiviruses / anti-malware / anti-spyware software. Make sure at least to read reviews about such programs before installing them.

I repeat again if you have any real facts about malacious activity of FLVSrvc.exe please post about it.

p.s. Make sure you have downloaded Applian software from www.applian.com (not from any untrusted sources, not cracked or any other illegal versions).

endyr
09-30-2010, 04:34 AM
The FLVSrvc.exe does recreate itself after being deleted, or renamed. I suggest that you try it under WINDOWS Vista Home Premium 32 bit. All you have to do, (after renaming or deleting the file) is to open the RMC3 program, download some video, close the RMC3, then reboot your computer. Voila! That pesky FLVSrvc.exe has been reincarnated. :mad:

blazegmc
09-30-2010, 07:25 AM
i disabled FLVSrvc months ago on suggestion as a possible sollution to the browser crashes... i used MSCONFIG and sure enough it enabled itself again. this happend 3times so in the end i decided to leave it be... as for the "malicious file" theory, every single file you google will come up with a bad report if you search hard enough.... ive seen legit windows files marked as malicious, then at the bottom of the screen it will say, but it could also be part of a legitimate operation... blah blah blah....

if your seem to think the file is so malicious you want to post rather rude posts to people who are trying to help you then maby you should delete rmc and download something else.... you obviously DONT beleive it is spyware or another malicious program because if you did you would have deleted the software already.

but hey, thats just my opinion...maby oneday applian will be outed as master criminals, but i doubt that very much.