PDA

View Full Version : >.AVI in place of .mpg option?

Bob740
07-30-2010, 10:46 AM
For my use, it would be good if we had the option of video format to record in. I work totally with .avi, and mpg will not work for me.
The only way I can get a true .avi is to convert the movie in ConvertX, burn a DVD with it, and go forward.
Is allowing format options out of the question?

stream-recorder.com
07-30-2010, 12:01 PM
For my use, it would be good if we had the option of video format to record in. I work totally with .avi, and mpg will not work for me.
The only way I can get a true .avi is to convert the movie in ConvertX, burn a DVD with it, and go forward.
Is allowing format options out of the question?
AVI is just a container. You can extract audio and video tracks from MPEG files and use them in an AVI file. There will be no quality loss. And this can be done with freeware software like AviDemux.

Do you have any suggestions on what codecs (MPEG-4, h.264, ...) you would like to see in Replay Video Capture?

Bob740
07-30-2010, 08:26 PM
The reasoning for my request, I capture Hulu, edit in Pinnacle, removing the advertising. Sometimes, the only file Pinnacle will take is .avi. I know there the same, but for some reason it sees the difference. No problem, I can work around it with no trouble.

stream-recorder.com
07-30-2010, 11:33 PM
There were lots of problems with syncing audio with video when using AVI, so I guess the developer tried to avoid this.

My TV Tuner has hardware support for MPEG-2, so I used it a lot to record TV shows, episodes and movies. Although I have a paid program that allow to detect commecials, I usually use freeware VirtualDubMod for removing ads. I also recompress MPEG-2 videos with VirtualDubMod using XVid or x264 video codecs.

I try not to burn DVDs anymore, since it is much easier to find audio and video content when it is stored on my hard drive.