PDA

View Full Version : Can I convert files from my Tivo?

techman
03-30-2010, 01:35 AM
I already use Tivo Desktop (software from Tivo) to transfer my recordings to my laptop. The size of these files is large (about 1GB for each hour of recorded TV).
Can I use Replay Converter to automatically convert these large Tivo files to other formats and into more compact file sizes (for portable devices like an Ipod Nano)?

Cheryl Wester
04-02-2010, 08:17 PM
If the file format is one that Replay Converter is able to convert. I don't have one so I'm not sure. By memory the answer is no. Please see this link for the various formats the program can convert to and from.

http://www.applian.com/replay-converter/

stream-recorder.com
04-03-2010, 02:49 AM
TiVoToGo .tivo files are encrypted MPEG-2 files. Your unique Media Access Key (MAK) is appended to all TiVo recordings. TiVo Desktop software includes a .dll that is used to decrypt, your TiVO recordings using your MAK.

How do I watch shows on my PC?
To watch .tivo files, you need:

TiVo Desktop
MPEG-2 Codec
DirectShow-capable Media Player (like Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic)

TiVo Desktop software installs software (a DirectShow DLL) which is needed to decrypt your .tivo files.

How can I convert TiVo files, burn TiVo files to DVD?
Use freeware directshow dump to decrypt your .tivo files. Then you can convert them to other formats or burn to DVD using Replay Converter.