PDA

View Full Version : Problems with PS3 recognizing some MP4 files

SteveCebu
03-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Hi I'm new to the group. i didn't find anything that covered this so I'm asking directly. Tech support said to just try different bit rates but here is the problem in detail.

After I have downloaded an FLV file and it is on the disk and I can view it and verify that it is a good file. I was then using Replay Media Catcher to convert it to an MP4 using MPEG4 Same Quality (*.mp4)
This works on most files and it's fairly quick. But there are more than a few files that while they work on my PC they do not work on my PS3.
I have an older laptop and it can't connect to the TV so I use Media Replay Catcher and then convert to MPEG4 Same Quality and most of the videos look pretty good considering the source material.
But some files will not play on the PS3 at all. The PS3 doesn't recognize them, so I used Replay Converter set to MPEG-4(.h264) High Quality 800kbps.
The thing is while the files are literally half the size of the ones made by Media Replay Catcher they don't look as good. It also seems to depend on the file. Replay Converter and the conversion process to so SLOW that it will take all night to convert the files for a couple of gigs.
I'm not sure why the difference between Replay Converter and Media Replay Catcher but I'd love to know what Media Replay Catcher is doing to the MPEG4files since they are so huge and yet look better and convert faster.
The quality of the video is very important to me.
It takes all night to convert and then they don't look as good.
I'm not going to post any websites since every single website I have used does the exact same thing but it's mostly with larger files, regardless of which website I use.
I bought this product as I was very impressed with what it can do but it's pointless if all larger files look like crap and take many hours to convert if i have to use Replay Converter.
Any help is appreciated.
Steve