PDA

View Full Version : Freecorder Toolbar in Vista

royrogers
08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I have managed to get the toolbar operating in Vista but all recordings suffer from a constant clicking or chattering noise in the background. These recordings were made when the computer was being used for nothing else; no microphone was connected. No DRM music was involved.
Can anyone make suggestions as to what is causing this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jeff Lenney
08-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Roy,

If Freecorder Toolbar has trouble recording, you may need to turn off User Account Control (http://applian.com/support-vista.php#UAC) in Windows Vista.

Let me know if this helps. :-D

royrogers
08-10-2008, 02:20 AM
Hi Jeff - I had already disconnected UAC but had not thought about 'drivers' as it is a brand new computer. I shall research this but I am loathe to change drivers when everything else appears to be working.

By the way, you mention Freecorder 2 but am I not working with Freecorder 3? I have probably got this totally wrong so don't worry about replying unless there is anything significant in this.

Regards
Roy

Jeff Lenney
08-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi Jeff - I had already disconnected UAC but had not thought about 'drivers' as it is a brand new computer. I shall research this but I am loathe to change drivers when everything else appears to be working.

By the way, you mention Freecorder 2 but am I not working with Freecorder 3? I have probably got this totally wrong so don't worry about replying unless there is anything significant in this.

Regards
Roy

Hi Roy, disregard the part about the drivers, I gave the solution for the freecorder toolbar (3) and freecorder 2, sorry for not clarifying. Stay tuned, we'll look into this. :)

almotu
08-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I had been using my Mac iBook to record many internet streaming radio shows for a couple of years now using WireTap Pro. It is idiot proof. Now I had migrated to a PC laptop (Sony VAIO VGN-NR160E) and having a tough time doing the same.

The Freecorder Toolbar could not find the 'sound card' or device. So I have not been able to record anything on this laptop.

Any help will be appreciated.

royrogers
08-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Jeff - I have experienced the same problem on another computer using a Windows XP Home operating system although the clicking noise is not so noticeable. The important thing, however, is that the problem only seems to appear when recording from the same site on either computer. I need to do a bit more testing on this just to ensure that it is only the one site giving rise to the problem.
Regards,Roy

Tasha Heinlein
08-10-2008, 05:15 PM
If there is a site that you always have this problem with you should definitely let us know. It might make it easier to pinpoint exactly what is happening. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein
Applian Technologies, Inc.

royrogers
08-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Hi Tasha - The site is a UK music provider from which you can buy or stream tracks. It operates under the name of different charities or other organisations to which it sells its services. The one which I use is Oxfam, Music but the operator is OnDemandDistribution. It is also known as od2.com and you will easily find them if you enter one of the names in a search engine.

When e-mailing it, the address which I use is [email protected].
Regards - Roy

Tasha Heinlein
08-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks Roy, I'll look into this!

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

royrogers
08-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi Tasha - I thought you would be interested to know that, when recording some tracks from AccuRadio, I got clicking on the occasional recording. This time, however, I was using my laptop which has a Windows XP Home operating system fully updated. I have no idea what to make of this.
Regards - Roy.

Tasha Heinlein
08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
The developer is aware of the "clicking" issue with some recordings. It appears to be quite random, we haven't been able to determine a specific cause. He does plan on looking into this further and creating a fix, but I couldn't give you a time frame when to expect this to happen.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

royrogers
08-14-2008, 08:07 AM
By 'Developer' are you referring to Accuradio?

Regards - Roy

Tasha Heinlein
08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi Roy,

I'm referring to Freecorder, sorry about the confusion:)

pearannoyed
09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
The developer is aware of the "clicking" issue with some recordings. It appears to be quite random, we haven't been able to determine a specific cause. He does plan on looking into this further and creating a fix, but I couldn't give you a time frame when to expect this to happen.

Best Regards,

Tasha Heinlein

I have the clicking issue too. I recorded the sessions of an online feed of a conference over the last several days and some of my files have a horrible clicking while others are clean as a whistle.

I don't believe the clicking is caused by anything I was doing on the computer at the time. I was using other functions on the computer during a couple of the clean recordings, and was nowhere near it during a couple of the very worst ones.

I'd be happy to provide sound samples if it would help.

I was recording from ihop.org which streams conferences using WMA. I'm on an HP laptop running Windows Vista home premium.

scubamut
09-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Any update on the clicking problem reported previously? it occurs most of the time, making Freecorder unusable. Any help would be appreciated...

mrZoSo
09-22-2008, 09:55 PM
See if bumping the Recording Levels down a bit helps.
There's also the possibility it could be in the stream itself.

scubamut
09-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Unfortunately this doesn't help. The stream is fine - sometimes when I open it, the recording is fine, sometimes the click is there. Especially if recording something with silent gaps, the recording starts ok then after the gaps, the click starts.

mrZoSo
09-23-2008, 08:36 AM
",,,sometimes when I open it,,,"

Are you talking when you play the all ready recorded file, sometimes when you play it it clicks and sometimes it doesn't?

Whar's the URL your recording from?

scubamut
09-23-2008, 09:41 AM
I did an experiment now and I'm confused..

I set to record from Freecorder Audio Driver, MP3 with automatic timestamp. The URL was http://www.luckysevenradio.com/listen/guitar_hi.asx and there was an announcement, a silent gap and some music. I expected 3 files but got 6 - actually 3 pairs of each (the announcement, gap, music). The first file of each pair was clear as a bell, the second file had the "clicks". Does this make any sense to you? I could just discard every second file and be left with the 3 clear ones, but why do I get the 3 "clicky" ones??

mrZoSo
09-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I just tried it and I get duplicate files too, but no clicks in any of them. Tried it in Vista as well, but I don't get multiple files, just one, no clicks in it either.

Does it sound like the Navigation click from the browser?

scubamut
09-24-2008, 02:00 AM
Here are 2 test recording files - one clean, the other with the "clicks":
http://www.adrive.com/public/6ce4262aeadbb00d510a82d59fa944b25fcc62f635f1c8151e 76d2b2a5d20d7b.html
http://www.adrive.com/public/1466f6cdf105f3a297cff847f4363508289f5d6b38de2d8843 4ebe040dff8d25.html

mrZoSo
09-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Have you tried it without using the timestamp?

scubamut
09-25-2008, 03:21 AM
yes - no difference