PDA

View Full Version : Help needed from a newbie!

IrenePax
08-25-2013, 02:37 AM
Hello! I'm new here, and I don't use RMC much. I normally use it to capture videos, rarely for streaming videos... I hope you'll have the patience to read this and to help me, maybe my problem can be described shortly but I am no expert so I prefer to describe all the details.

So here's what happened, I hope to be as clear as possible:
- yesterday I wanted to capture a streaming video from this site http://www.tvparma.it/Diretta/TV and before the airing of the program I needed I made a couple of tests. What I wanted to test was especially how to complete the download, because I noticed that even if I close the page the download would contnue and I didn't know how to make it stop...
- so, if I forced the shutdown by deleting it, the downloaded file gets deleted, while if I canceled it, the file remained in the My Recording Videos folder. I tried to view the .mkv downloaded file and both the video and the audio worked
- when the moment of downloading the program came, I started the download, then I stopped it so not to record anything else, and the stream was being downloaded in mkv, all was fine
- finally, when the program ended after about an hour, I made sure the download reached the exact number of minutes, because it was a bit slower, and then I canceled it in order to stop it...big mistake I'm afraid :(
- right after, I went to check the mkv downloaded file (the internet connection was still on), I opened it with KMPlayer and watched a few seconds: it worked (even though the player didn't say how much time it lasted, and it was impossible to go forward: it looked in fact as the video was now streaming on KMPlayer, but I only notice this now...)
- then, thinking I had the video downloaded on my computer (I made the mistake of not checking the size of the file, too little for a 1 hour video, and that could have rung a bell..), I turned the internet connection off -switching the router off- (while the video was still playing the first seconds)
- when I came back, the video was interrupted: all that remains now are the first 25 seconds, the one I watched when the connection was on, and nothing more.
It's like I had to watch it all again (with an internet connection) in order to download it? I don't really understand what's happened..

So this is all, I'm sorry if it was long to read but I preferred to tell all the details I could tell (as I mentioned, I'm not an expert at all).
I realize I shouldn't have the mistake of cancelling the download...I guess there's another way of stopping the recording that I didn't consider. And then I should not have disconnected the wifi, but I thought the video was downloaded for good.

Now, what I'd like to ask firstly is if there's a way to recover the WHOLE 1-hour long video (I still have the mkv file, 616kb). If there's any way, I'd ike to try it.
But since I do realize it may be impossible to recover the video, my next request is that someone explained to me my mistakes and what I should do next time.

Thanks so much for your patience, I hope someone will help me because I really need it!!:confused:

Cheers,
Irene