PDA

View Full Version : Several problems after upgrading to Replay Media Catcher 5

bfranker
05-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Hello! I just upgraded from RMC4 to RMC5 and am having all kinds of issues :(

I uninstalled both RMC4 and RMC5 as a start then re-installed RMC5 and am still having problems.

1) No videos are recorded at all when I'm viewing, for example, YouTube videos in Chrome. However, if I have Internet recording set to "ON" and have this forum up (or even the webpage for RMC5 user guide) it keeps trying to record the static web page but gives me an error it is copy protected??? When on the user guide page, without clicking anything, it tried to record 4 different "copies" of the text webpage. When in this forum, they just kept popping up over and over... after about 10, I turned OFF Internet recording.

2) Recording off YouTube actually works but the only way I can get it to work is to use the Guides tab, then click YouTube, then pick something that it shows me in the RMC5 window. That works but I don't want to do it like that... I want to use the actual YouTube website to search so I can use the filters and sorting options. While the RMC5 window for YouTubes videos is "nice" it is too limiting. I certainly hope I'm not missing something and now the only way to record YouTube is from within the RMC5 window... that'll be terrible. I'm hoping mine is just not working right.

3) When I was able to get a YouTube video (using the RMC5 window and not a browser) I went to play it and was asked if I wanted to download the FLV free player. I did this with RMC4 and no problems. However, now when I click YES, I get and "Unexpected Error" with the text "Class not registered". So, now I don't have the FLV player.

4) When searching within the RMC5 window for YouTube, when the text gets to the end of the given width of the window, the entire word just disappears??? For example, I wanted to search for "Applian Media Catcher" but when I type the "e" in "catcher" the entire word just goes away???

I may try uninstalling again but am hoping somebody might know why I'm having so many issues when RMC4 seemed to work pretty good just a few days ago.

Thanks!

bfranker
05-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Ok... been playing with this for a couple hours now and, damn, I'm having a lot of issues. LOL I've uninstalled and re-installed about 10 times I think. I initially tried to uninstall then re-install but selected "Full Install". This resulted in, during the install process, the install program not being able to find the appliand.sys file. Since that looked to be a failed install, I uninstalled again (just to make sure) then re-installed and same problem but I found the file in a different location than where the install program thought it was. However, after doing this, I had no internet connection??? I uninstalled RMC5 again and rebooted 3 times but still no internet connection. I looked at my network adapter settings and saw the Applian Network Monitor. I unchecked it and my internet came back. Re-installed RMC5 but did NOT try to re-install the network monitor... no idea why that breaks my internet but it does.

After all these uninstalling and re-installing the ability to record a YouTube video from my Chrome browser window started working. I've had it running now for about 5 minutes while typing this and I'm also no longer getting the copy protection error messages and failed recordings of static text web pages so it looks like my problems 1) and 2) are not an issue right now.

Problem 3) and 4) still existed after all the above. I found the free FLV player in the download section of your website so installed from there but still getting the message. Will try to reboot and see if it goes away. UPDATE: reboot did not work. It didn't recognize that I installed the FLV player manually and still wants me to download it but gives me the error I mentioned above.

bfranker
05-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Spoke too soon on the random recording of static pages. I was trying a scheduled recording and was doing something not even related to my Chrome browser window when all of a sudden in about 30 seconds I get 19 separate recordings, all giving errors for trying to record something that is copy protected and they are titled like my Google search page??? It was like it was trying to record Google search and there are no videos here???

On the upside, I tried to install the FLV player I downloaded off your website and was successful. However, I clicked through the three "accept" buttons without reading them. Heck, I've been using your software for YEARS and never have seen anything like this before from your software. Not to sound crass but WTH are you guys doing?????? After successfully installing the FLV player, my browser was completely HIJACKED! There were about TEN (yes 10... not much of an exaggeration!) damn spyware/spam/hijacking type programs installed! I looked at my logs and it corresponded with the installation of the FLV player that I downloaded directly off the Applian webpage. I went back through the installation of the FLV player and noticed where I hit "accept" due to obscure wording (like if I don't accept, installation won't continue garbage... I didn't think I had to worry about this kind of junk from you guys) in the title but in the fine-print notification of installing 2 or 3 of these crap programs. However, WAY MORE than 2 or 3 were installed. Took me about 30 minutes to get my browser back. Not very happy about this and I'm really shocked you guys would put this crap in your software. It is one thing to do a sneaky install of weatherbug (one of the programs) but all that other stuff that erases your home page and search engines and installs all that ad crap is UNACCEPTABLE.

Oh, while I've been typing this, RMC5 has added about 20 more files of THIS web page like it is trying to record my post or something? I have no idea what's up with that.

This whole upgrade experience has been very disappointing. If somebody still wants to help me that would be great but I hope you provide feedback that what you are doing with your "free" FLV player is unacceptable for a reputable company... maybe I am wrong and there is an explanation why all this showed up? I'd rather pay $5 for the thing than have to worry about my computer being taken over by all the crap that thing installs.

In short, I'm still having these issues...

1) The "free" FLV player won't download/install from RMC5
2) Random recording of text based pages as being "copy protected"... not really random though... it records the tab that is "active" in the browser. If it starts "freaking out" and giving me the error like once a second, if I cycle through the tabs in the open pages (with no video), then the file names change for the recordings of the text pages it is trying to record. What seems to be random is what causes it to start attempting to record these text pages... however, I've Internet monitoring "on" for 3 minutes now and it hasn't tried once... but when it does it seems to go nuts until I turn it off.
3) I have figured out how to schedule and record a streaming radio station. However, it is not usable until I get the random recording fixed because even for just a one minute recording I get several of the web page recordings.
4) After the schedule is up in the recording I am doing, the Internet tab still monitors. The schedule does work to stop at that point and make a recording but should it not also stop the Internet monitoring if it wasn't running previously??? Note, audio monitoring does the same thing... have to turn it off manually as it does not turn off after the recording is done.
5) The way I got my radio station stream to record was to capture "record from stream" and launch "in windows media player". However, this gives me an FLV file (which works) so I tried the covert to MP3 option since this is just audio. However, this does nothing... file stays as an FLV file?
6) Tried to add a custom MP3 quality for conversion. It shows up when I click "configure" but it doesn't show up in the list so I can select it for the conversion.

Any suggestions? Is anybody getting this to work correctly and am I just unlucky?

mrsid
12-09-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm having the same issues and I don't have the patience to go through the ordeal that you are. RMC 4 worked fine. I don't find 5 to be user friendly and it really doesn't work for me in the last week. I'd like to find an easy bug fix.

Jeff Lenney
12-10-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm having the same issues and I don't have the patience to go through the ordeal that you are. RMC 4 worked fine. I don't find 5 to be user friendly and it really doesn't work for me in the last week. I'd like to find an easy bug fix.

Sorry to hear you're having these issues - Please use the technical support section of the website to submit your tech support ticket and include your record log file:

http://applian.com/support.php