PDA

View Full Version : Converting webm Videos from Youtube Downloads

Prof_Dr_G
12-13-2012, 05:52 AM
I am still having problems converting videos that are downloaded in the webm format. In reading through the posts, it is unclear if others are having this problem? Is it possible to confirm if there is a problem in downloading all or some webm videos?

The file that I am trying to convert is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7y3537RBWk

Nzen
12-13-2012, 11:41 PM
You could set RMC to automatically convert to "FLVs same quality".
You could use a player that accepts webm (vlc, ect) & be indifferent to file format.
You could use another software package to convert webm to flv (ffmpeg).

Prof_Dr_G
12-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Is it possible to complete the conversion in Replay Media Catcher, or do I have to go to a different product?

endyr
12-14-2012, 12:18 PM
I am still having problems converting videos that are downloaded in the webm format. In reading through the posts, it is unclear if others are having this problem? Is it possible to confirm if there is a problem in downloading all or some webm videos?

The file that I am trying to convert is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7y3537RBWk

Hi Prof_Dr_G,

There is an easy solution for this problem. RMC4 will download the file to the FLV format, but will not convert it, because the RMC4 program cannot handle the Hindi characters in the file-name. Before you attempt a file conversion, rename the file to get rid of the Hindi characters, then you can convert it into any file format that you want. I have noticed in the past that RMC4 does not convert files properly with file names that are in Japanese, Chinese, Russian etc., characters. I hope that this fix helps you.

Aloha from Hawaii,

-Endyr :o

Prof_Dr_G
12-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks for that tip, but I don't believe that is the problem. I have tried with all naming conventions turned off with the exception of metadata tagging. In the past that has always worked with the Thai character set. The error message is a webm error.

Jeff Lenney
12-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks for that tip, but I don't believe that is the problem. I have tried with all naming conventions turned off with the exception of metadata tagging. In the past that has always worked with the Thai character set. The error message is a webm error.

Replay Media Catcher includes the open-source conversion utility FFMPEG. We don't make any changes to it but simply provide it for conversions. If conversions are not performing as expected this is almost always due to missing or conflicting codecs on your computer. Or in some cases the original file was compressed with a codec that windows does not understand.

FFMPEG comes in many different versions. You can try using another version of FFMPEG.exe if you wish.Download this file and save it to Replay Media Catcher's directory in Program Files replacing the file of the same name. Backup your existing file first by simply renaming it to FFMPEG.bak:

http://jaksta.s3.amazonaws.com/ffmpeg/r25512/ffmpeg.exe

Replace the file with Replay Media Catcher closed. Then re-open Replay Media Catcher and try your conversion again.

Please understand that Replay Media Catcher uses the open source FFMPEG for all conversions. There is not anything in Replay Media Catcher that we can fix if a specific conversion type is not working for you. Codecs are almost always the problem and those can be different on every machine based on what you've installed in the past.
Best Regards,

Prof_Dr_G
12-20-2012, 04:07 AM
The replacement conversion utility worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Jeff Lenney
12-21-2012, 12:16 AM

My pleasure - thanks for the feedback and I'm glad that did the trick for you! :-)

Jeff Lenney
12-21-2012, 12:21 AM

My pleasure - thanks for the feedback and I'm glad that did the trick for you! :-)

Prof_Dr_G
12-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Good Morning, I am still experimenting with FFMPEG, and I have noticed the following. On some conversions, the audio is garbled. How do you decice on which version of FFMPEG is optimal? For example, what criteria does Applian use for selecting the version of FFMPEG that comes with the software?

Prof_Dr_G
01-16-2013, 04:29 AM
I can now provide some feedback after experimenting with different versions of ffmpeg. I have not been able to solve the problem of downloading and converting webm media for all videos with RMC. I have been able to download and convert some videos using versions of ffmpeg other than shipped with RMC. With some videos, the conversion still fails. Another by-product of using alternate ffmpeg programs is that in some cases the audio is garbled.

I do not know enough about webm to understand why the conversion of such media is so difficult. Jeff Laney said that it could be the result of inconsistent local CODECS, but that is beyond me, and probably beyond many other users of RMC.

As more and videos appear in the webm standard, one would hypothesize that this problem would have to be resolved in future releases of the product.

I would appreciate any feedback that will help be understand the problem and resolve future conversions. Here is the latest video that I have been unable to convert on my computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dcaa2zx2hk

Jeff Lenney
01-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Good evening

Actually, the newest version of RMC (to be released soon) should resolve this issue and have a more up to date codec installed that will work with it.

Replay Media Catcher includes the open-source conversion utility FFMPEG. We don't make any changes to it but simply provide it for conversions. If conversions are not performing as expected this is almost always due to missing or conflicting codecs on your computer. Or in some cases the original file was compressed with a codec that windows does not understand.

FFMPEG comes in many different versions. You can try using another version of FFMPEG.exe if you wish.Download this file and save it to Replay Media Catcher's directory in Program Files replacing the file of the same name. Backup your existing file first by simply renaming it to FFMPEG.bak:

http://jaksta.s3.amazonaws.com/ffmpeg/r25512/ffmpeg.exe

Replace the file with Replay Media Catcher closed. Then re-open Replay Media Catcher and try your conversion again.

Please understand that Replay Media Catcher uses the open source FFMPEG for all conversions. There is not anything in Replay Media Catcher that we can fix if a specific conversion type is not working for you. Codecs are almost always the problem and those can be different on every machine based on what you've installed in the past.

endyr
01-16-2013, 10:54 PM
I can now provide some feedback after experimenting with different versions of ffmpeg. I have not been able to solve the problem of downloading and converting webm media for all videos with RMC. I have been able to download and convert some videos using versions of ffmpeg other than shipped with RMC. With some videos, the conversion still fails. Another by-product of using alternate ffmpeg programs is that in some cases the audio is garbled.

I do not know enough about webm to understand why the conversion of such media is so difficult. Jeff Laney said that it could be the result of inconsistent local CODECS, but that is beyond me, and probably beyond many other users of RMC.

As more and videos appear in the webm standard, one would hypothesize that this problem would have to be resolved in future releases of the product.

I would appreciate any feedback that will help be understand the problem and resolve future conversions. Here is the latest video that I have been unable to convert on my computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dcaa2zx2hk

Hello,

As I mentioned in my previous post there is an easy solution for your problem. It is obvious that you did not read it carefully. I just downloaded the video in question, using RMC4 and it saved on my computer in the ".flv" format with no problem. If you attempt to convert the file without renaming it, the conversion will fail because of the "Thai" characters in the name. I renamed the file to "12.flv" and I was able to convert it, using RMC4 into the MPEG, and MP4 formats with no problems, and the files played cleanly with no audio distortions. It appears that all this talk about improper "codecs" just does not ring true, and your "issue" has an easy work-around. :o

Prof_Dr_G
01-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Hello,

As I mentioned in my previous post there is an easy solution for your problem. It is obvious that you did not read it carefully. I just downloaded the video in question, using RMC4 and it saved on my computer in the ".flv" format with no problem. If you attempt to convert the file without renaming it, the conversion will fail because of the "Thai" characters in the name. I renamed the file to "12.flv" and I was able to convert it, using RMC4 into the MPEG, and MP4 formats with no problems, and the files played cleanly with no audio distortions. It appears that all this talk about improper "codecs" just does not ring true, and your "issue" has an easy work-around. :o

I don't mean any disrespect, but I think you are wrong and Jeff is correct. However, I would like to understand the problem better. You derogatory comment that "It is obvious that you did not read it carefully" is not appreciated. Your opinion is fine, but your condescending approach is not.

I can even download with full metadata tagging where the Thai characters don't even appear, and I still have the problem.

Prof_Dr_G
02-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Jeff,
Do you have an estimate on whey the new version of the product will be released? i have learned a lot as I have researched this problem, including some knowledge of FFMPEG. I can download most any video now, but clear audio remains a problem on some files. I have also learned that Windows Media Player seems to outperform i-Tunes on most of the files. I am not sure why that is the case. Now, I am tired of experimenting, and am just looking forward to the next release of the product.

Jeff Lenney
02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Jeff,
Do you have an estimate on whey the new version of the product will be released? i have learned a lot as I have researched this problem, including some knowledge of FFMPEG. I can download most any video now, but clear audio remains a problem on some files. I have also learned that Windows Media Player seems to outperform i-Tunes on most of the files. I am not sure why that is the case. Now, I am tired of experimenting, and am just looking forward to the next release of the product.

Unfortunately I do not, but I know it IS being worked on still by our programming team - we're beta testing it now internally - so hopefully sooner than later :)

Prof_Dr_G
03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Well, I am finally moving on. I have been trying to navigate the webM problem with new CODECs that is apparently hardware dependent, and I am giving up and searching for a new conversion software product.
These are my conclusions.

1. I can manipulate FFMPEG and generally convert a YouTube video. Some videos require no manipuation, but webM is a problem on my computer.
2. For webM videos (if I can convert them) the audio is sometimes distorted, even to the point of no audio at all. However, this does not happen with all webM videos,
3. The videos tend to play better in using the Microsoft Windows Media Player than in I-Tunes.

The research time was not lost since I learned a lot about webM, FFMPEG and CODECS in general, but at some point convenience dominates. If someone can recommend alternate solutions, I would be please to hear about those.

audstune
09-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi...having the webm problem with Media Catcher 6...can anyone help? Thanks so much! :)

Prof_Dr_G
09-09-2013, 03:58 AM
Please clarify what version you are using.

Here is what I know. With version 4 I tried the MPEG files as suggested. Sometimes it work, but at other times, it did not. I got audio distortion.

I got a new computer (Windows 8), so I decided to upgrade to RMC 5 and try again. The program worked for several weeks and then I upgraded to Flash 11. I have not been able to make the program work since that upgrade. That is where I stand right now.

Jeff Lenney
09-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Hi...having the webm problem with Media Catcher 6...can anyone help? Thanks so much! :)

Replay Media Catcher is up to version 5 now....can you double check your version # please? :)

Prof_Dr_G
09-10-2013, 06:05 AM
Jeff,

I am running 5.0.1.7