Thread: What's the secret to making the sound card work (and 2 other things)?

Default What's the secret to making the sound card work (and 2 other things)?

Can someone explain specifically what function is required for RAV to work with a particular sound card?

I'm trying to record SXM over line input (or mic). I have an old IBM laptop (2008?) where RAV couldn't detect sound. I followed instructions about stereo mix and still no love.

Now, I bought an external (USB) 7.1 sound card that has 2 mic inputs and 1 line input. RAV can detect sound on line input but it can't detect sound using a mic port.

I want to buy a USB sound card that works with RAV that can record both line in and mic. What function should I look for to ensure it's going to work?

And 2 final things:

1) the current solution I have might be OK, but since I've started using it I hear what sounds like RF interference at random times. I don't know if it's the PC, the card, the USB cable, or something else in the office that would cause the interference. If not for that, I'd be OK with the current USB sound card. I can tell this one will take ages to sort out, and when I get the question answered above, I can spend another $20-30 on the "right" card and be done with it.

2) For the RAV replacement product, a) is there a beta test happening I might join, b) any updated word on when it will release, 3) will it be able to capture streams like RAV did before, d) will it actually wake up a Windows 7 machine to record and e) will it have the same sound card issues RAV has today?

Thanks

Default Re: What's the secret to making the sound card work (and 2 other things)?

We are not in beta yet on the program. So far it is really cool and does capture Sirius and XM. I know I love it. I don't know when it is going to be released.
    Each system is different as to what works with the sound. You need to make sure what you want is enabled and experiment with it.

Default Re: What's the secret to making the sound card work (and 2 other things)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Wester View Post
    Each system is different as to what works with the sound. You need to make sure what you want is enabled and experiment with it.
    Cheryl, thanks for replying.

What I'm looking for is some kind of definition of what requirement RAV has as to what will work with it and what won't. As you say, each system is different. So, what is it about the systems that do indeed work, ie, what do they have in common? Is there some device driver RAV is looking for? What makes one system (or card or whatever) able to work with RAV that another does not. There has to be some kind of technical explanation.

Right now, I have 3 computers in my office. 1 of them works with RAV while the others do not. When I hook a USB sound card to one of the ones that doesn't work, now it does. I can't just keep buying computers and sound cards to see which ones work. Surely someone in the lab could provide some insight.

Thanks

There have been some windows updates this week that have really played havoc with our program and audio capture. When we can get a good stream capture it is ideal. For audio capture you need to use the Replay AV Audio Driver-but there is no guarantee it will work with all links or with all systems due to the updates. Try master volume for some audio-it is not as good at all as it is mono but it does record.

Is there a white paper or some other document which explains the technical difference b/w RAV Audio Driver and Master Volume? Maybe this will help what I'm looking for.

No there is not. Master Volume is from your computer-the AV Audio Driver is from our program.