Thread: Join Manager - Different formats or incompatible parameters

Default Join Manager - Different formats or incompatible parameters

I am trying to join an AVI file of a digital video captured with Replay Video Capture and an AVI file of a video or screen capture of a powerpoint presentation that I created and captured using Replay Video Capture.

When I go to join the files, I get the message "Different formats or incompatible parameters"

The file formats are the same values in every column except Width & Height are the same.

The Digital video is Width 504 Height 288
    The Powerpoint video is Width 1024 Height 752

Is this the problem? what can I do I do to join the files? Can I reset the height and width? Can I change the settings on the Replay Video Capture of my powerpoint and capture it again?

help! (and thanks!)

Default Re: Join Manager - Different formats or incompatible parameters

Hi, yes the file sized (dimensions) would need to be the same unfortunately. I dont know of any tricks to re-size THAT unfortunately, perhaps somebody can chime in?
    Best Regards,

Jeff Lenney
    Technical Support
    Applian Technologies, Inc.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Yikes, I am late to reply. Either way for future purposes, have you tried Windows Live Movie Maker for joining? I tried joining two movies recently with Replay Media Splitter, they were different formats (avi and wmv) and also different sizes and could not do it... I was completely blown away since months ago Windows Live Movie Maker would have crashed trying to join two files like this; I was pleasantly surprised.

I wish Replay Media Splitter would integrate a way to do this and then alert users when attempting to join files like these:

1. "Attention: Joining these files requires at least one of them to be converted into a different video format. Video quality may suffer. This operation may take a while."
    2. Give 2 options for the user to choose from, from the best compatible choices to convert ALL of the files into.
    3. Give 2 options for the user to choose from, from the best compatible aspect ratio for the finished product.

The program might take a while converting, but it will look for the best way to create a playable video with the files. I remember that doing this with Quicktime in the Mac would generate a disastrous outcome, one of the movies would play fine while the smaller one (no matter where it was - before or after) would be in the corner, not centered, not re-sized, nothing, the remaining portion of the viewable screen would be black. I am not sure if Apple fixed that, but the truth was that Quicktime was in many ways overpriced, having a whole bunch for "paid for features" that Windows Media Player and Windows Live Movie Maker have FOR FREE.

----

I realized you can also play these in VLC (set aspect ratio of both videos to the same values) and use Replay Video Capture to record. Join them with Join Manager when done recording, voila.
    Last edited by Liliana Mercado; 04-20-2012 at 05:52 PM.

You are able to convert the files with Replay Converter. This allows you to edit the dimensions of the file. Thus you would have the same file bitrate, the same dimensions, and the same format. Give it a try.

I am having this problem even when the two fragments I am trying to join both CAME FROM THE SAME SOURCE FILE. That is, I needed to drop the middle segment, so I trim the beginning to a file, trim the end to a file, and when I try to join the two, I get the "different formats or incompatible parameters", and all the values that it says should match (audio, video, type) also ALL MATCH. There is no reason these segments cannot be joined, but Join Manger refuses to join them. HELP!!!

Please contact tech support for this. We would need to know the format the files are in and the source.